Under the general supervision of the Operations Manager, the Coal and Material Handing Supervisor is responsible for ensuring an uninterrupted flow of properly blended coal and limestone to a 565 MW coal-fired plant as well as coordinating the receipt, handling and disposal of coal, limestone, gypsum, fly ash, and bottom ash in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. This objective is accomplished by orchestrating numerous tasks carried out by a team of 10 hourly in-house employees, while coordinating communications with plant management, operations, maintenance, and engineering.
- Ensures that the proper blend of coal is delivered to the station to meet the forecasted load requirements, operational conditions, environmental parameters, and coal blending strategy.
- Plans and assigns personnel and schedules work, based on station fuel supply and operating conditions.
- Closely interacts with operations and oversees directs reports coordinating the receipt of all incoming coal and limestone deliveries, as well outgoing gypsum, and ash.
- Ensures that all department employees are properly trained and are held accountable for safety, environmental stewardship, job performance, LOTO, and housekeeping.
- Responsible for maintaining a well-groomed, properly sloped and compacted coal storage pile.
- Takes full ownership of all material handling equipment to properly prioritize maintenance work and repairs.
- Empowers the workforce to initiate notifications and to work actively with other departments on the maintenance and improvement of all material handling equipment.
- Coordinate all plant incoming and outgoing truck and barge traffic.
- Orders and maintains an adequate supply of basic operating materials and expendables.
- Responsible for all Preventative, predictive, routine and emergent maintenance on all coal handling equipment.
- Responsible for documented and regular coal yard operator rounds and equipment surveillance.
- Responsible for storeroom inventory and personnel.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field of study. In lieu of a degree, an equivalent amount of related experience and/or education may be considered.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a coal-fired generation or industrial material handling environment
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Attention to detail and strong organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, remaining focused and calm in the face of distractions.
- Excellent communications skills including written, verbal and motivational.
- Ability and willingness to lead and train subordinates to fully realize maximum team potential in accordance with bargaining unit agreement.
- Ability to coordinate numerous activities under stress with poise, safely and successfully.
- Excellent working knowledge of coal composition and blending techniques, conveyor belts, crushers, feeders, and other material handling equipment, their use and integration for efficient and effective material handling.
- Knowledge or ability to learn computerized maintenance management applications.
- Working knowledge of MS office suite applications.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
- Requires regular climbing of ladders, steep catwalks, and conveyor structures.
- Normal power plant environment and/or out of doors work environment. (Including working at heights, high/low ambient temperatures and high humidity areas at generating unit work locations).
- Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required.
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.).
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials, and chemicals.