Providence is calling a full-time Software Engineer 2 to the Molecular Genomics Lab at the Providence Office Park in Portland, OR.
In this position, you will:
- Be responsible for the development and maintenance of cutting-edge web-based tools in support of our Clinical Cancer Genomics program, including opportunities for full stack development, with an emphasis on user experience design and front end development.
- Be required for full lifecycle development and testing of software systems, with a focus on robustness and scalability, new feature design, development and deployment.
- Integrate into a team engaged in computational biology activity ranging from storing, analyzing, visualizing and interpreting large-scale genomic data derived from advanced molecular genomic techniques including Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS).
- Directly support clinical laboratory personnel and clinicians in the Providence Molecular Genomics Lab, a high capacity clinical genomic lab supporting both clinical and research efforts.
- Although the emphasis is on full stack software development, significant experience with genomics datasets as well as formal bioinformatic training are a requirement for the position.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor of Science degree or higher in a Software Engineering related field including computer science, computer engineering or information technology
- 3+ years professional experience in software engineering
- Significant Web Application Development expertise
- Web Application Development
- Experience with Linux/Unix environments
- Fluent with Rails and/or Sinatra based web development
- Familiar with the Active Record Object Relational Mapping
- Experience with Rails and/or Sinatra based web development
- Experience with Git & GitHub
- Demonstrated history of applying best practices in software development, including use of code repositories, version control, data and analysis provenance, containers, testing frameworks, continuous integration, and documentation
- Experience building and integrating back-end web services (using JSON, AJAX, REST) and interfacing with databases
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Formal Bioinformatic training strongly preferred
- Experience with cloud technologies
- Experience with Docker/Container based technologies
- Experience with MongoDB
- Experience with scalable distributed computing systems