General Surgeon-Acute Care
I. JOB SUMMARY/RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides emergency surgery call coverage, including assessment, surgery if needed, consultation, rounding and follow-up of patients.
• Fosters teamwork and communication among all internal and external constituencies.
II. TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Essential: finger dexterity, seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching above, at and below shoulder level, repetitive arm/hand motions.
• Frequent: standing, walking, sitting, stopping/bending, static gripping of an object for prolonged periods, frequent gripping of an object.
• Occasional: twisting body, lifting and pushing/pulling.
• Operates a variety of medical equipment, computer, telephone, pager.
III. TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Not substantially subjected to adverse environmental conditions.
• Exposure to hazardous chemicals and infectious agents is an occupational risk; therefore, standard safety regulations must be maintained to avoid contamination.
IV. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
A. EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION AND LICENSURE:
• Graduate of an accredited School of Medicine or ECFMG certification.
• Current unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Hawaii.
• Board certified or board qualified in General Surgery. If not board certified at hire, must be board certified within two (2) years of hire.
• Current BLS, ACLS, ATLS and PALS certification.
• During the period of employment, shall be and remain a member of the QMC medical staff in good standing with appropriate privileges without restriction.
• Qualified for an appointment on the faculty of the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.