Support and consistently reinforce Coastal's Core Values, is responsible for complete field operations of a project, acting as leader, coach, negotiator and arbitrator. The leadership displayed by this individual is critical to the project's performance.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Manages Superintendents and provides the vision for project planning, coordination, sequencing and site utilization.
- Develops the overall construction plan for the Project in conjunction with the Project Executive.
- Oversees, manages and documents all day-to-day job site activities including Coastal and OSHA safety compliance requirements.
- Directs field personnel according to the project plan and Coastal's supervisory principles.
- Communicates issues, events, performance and progress daily to the Project Executive.
- Reports any problems/issues promptly to the Project Executive and Project Manager to facilitate the most cost-effective solutions.
- Establishes effective working relationships with clients and Coastal's team members.
- Project Start-Up/Turnover Meeting:
- Identifies pre-mobilization activities in conjunction with the Project Executive, and the Project Manager.
- Develops start-up schedule, which includes priority purchasing requirements for a successful project start.
- Develops a high performance team through supervision, training, coaching and mentoring.
- Ensures regular feedback is shared with subordinates, including timely completion of employee performance appraisals.
- Fosters and enhances owner, architect, subcontractor and vendor relations.
- Ensures strict adherence to ethics and compliance requirements throughout the company.
- Supports and drives utilization of Coastal's initiatives and technology systems.
- Develops the objectives/goals of each assigned individual.
- Conducts inspection of construction, and inspection of area supervisors.
- Communicates with Coastal's Project Management Team, subcontractors and vendors to assist them in working to the Project Schedule.
- Represents Coastal with owners, architects, consultants, government authorities, vendors and subcontractors.
- Assists in formulating and implementing the construction schedule in the field.
- Assists in the establishment and implementation of the Project Baseline Schedule based on the project contracts and subcontractor input, taking into accounts any elements that might impact the schedule.
- Maintains the schedule and ensures that work performed is consistent with the contract and will meet or exceed client expectations.
- Provides input to the Scheduling Department for them to be able to update the Project Schedule on a monthly basis.
- Provides guidance and overview of staff Superintendent, look ahead scheduling and planning. Reviews and assists staff with developing planning and makes certain plan is communicated throughout the project team.
- Insures that all subcontractors participate in a safety pre-construction meeting prior to starting work on the project.
- Insures that all subcontractors have a full set of MSD sheets on the project, as well as their site specific safety plan and current insurance certificate or OCIP/CCIP enrollment ID.
- Reviews the project daily to insure that all activities are being performed in accordance with all Coastal and OSHA and governing requirements and the project site specific safety plan.
- Insures that all first delivery inspections and benchmark inspections are conducted and occur per the baseline schedule so as not to impact the progression of the subsequent work.
- Insures that the inspections and material testing are approved, documented and communicated to the project team.
- Ensures that all products and materials incorporated into the project are per approved submittals and contract documents.
- Manages site pre-construction including pre-construction survey, job site utilization and staging plans.
- Mobilizes the field office and maintains the job site to Coastal's standards.
- Organizes documentation of the job site for easy access and review.
- Manages subcontractor performance to quality and ethical standards.
- Works with Project Manager to identify and resolve personnel issues and construction process revisions.
- Manages all phases of the construction process including documenting and reporting site activities and progress; manages the site with current phased Job Site Utilization Plans.
- Attends project turnover, mobilization and project coordination meetings.
- Makes sure that Superintendents attend safety pre-construction meetings and weekly foreman and safety meetings. Sits in on meetings as required.
- Chairs monthly schedule review meetings.
- Attends closeout meetings.
- Attends owner meetings.
- Chairs subcontractor meetings and any others necessary meetings to monitor and manage the project.
- Completes daily reports on a daily basis and maintains logs of key activities, files and shop drawings. Provides overview to make certain project superintendents are reporting and managing logs as required.
- Manages the quality and condition of all material deliveries. Oversees the process to insure compliance with Coastal Material Verification requirements.
- Overview of required safety reporting and all other required files to Coastal's standards.
- Insures that as-built working drawings are maintained as well as the current drawing log and revision log, and communicates this to the subcontractors.
- Assists in the review and response of RFI, Shop Drawings, Product Data and any other document required for the successful completion of the project.
- Assists the Project Manager in the review of the Value of Schedule and in the approval of subcontractor monthly pay applications.
- Understands and administers Coastal's Contract and Subcontract Agreements.
- Assists the Project Manager in the management of the General Conditions pertaining to the field related activities.
- Verifies that the document control process for all addenda, ASI's and Drawing Revisions are kept to date on the field working drawing set. Provides overview that the process is ongoing and current.
- Reviews memos and minutes for meetings associated with the projects.
- Works with the Project Team and Management to recover all legitimate GC costs relating to owner changes. Reviews with the Field Staff all field directives and back charges for timely processing on a monthly basis.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Engineering, related field is preferred. A four year college degree is acceptable.
- 10+ years of experience in the construction industry as a Superintendent.
- 5+ years of experience in the role of assistant Superintendent.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficiency with:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Primavera P-6, Microsoft Project, Hand Drawn Schedules and planning
- Bluebeam, Adobe
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule.
- Familiar with LEED principles.
- Able to multi-task and handle competing priorities between Coastal's business needs and organizational issues while maintaining excellent customer relations.
- Must understand business judgment and the balance between budget and construction processes.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage the many details necessary for successful construction.
- Must have judgment to know when to appropriately escalate issues up the chain of command.
- Excellent management skills to effectively manage subcontractor performance to high quality.
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative, and the ability to quickly study and react to complex issues, and resolve conflict effectively in a firm but fair manner.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to take action confidently and decisively.