JOB SUMMARY: The General Practice Dentistry Preceptor is responsible for providing their students with training in diagnosis, treatment planning, sequencing and the actual treatment of their assigned patients.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be able to advise the students when consultations in the various specialties of dentistry are needed;
- Must be able to follow LECOM SDM Standardization manual and clinic manual;
- Responsible for supervising dental students in the LECOM Dental Group Practices;
- Must possess excellent communication and patient interpersonal skills to be able to instruct dental students to select, obtain and interpret patient data for the comprehensive assessment of a diverse patient population;
- Must be able to provide dental students with basic clinical training in the following disciplines of general dentistry: Oral Diagnosis, Oral and Maxillofacial surgery, Endodontics, Periodontics, Operative Dentistry, Fixed Prosthodontics, Removable Prosthodontics, Pediatrics, Orthodontics and Geriatrics;
- Attend meetings approved by SDM that require advancement of your profession;
- Must be responsible and accountable to supervise and manage a 10-chair patient practice area;
- Must work in conjunction with the faculty & students to maintain patient flow;
- Must be able to take direction and receive assignments from the Director of Patient Care Services and/or other management personnel;
- Must be available for work during the hours assigned, for student instruction and practice development;
- Faculty member will contribute and be responsible for overall student success, including, but not limited to, advising and student outcomes;
- Faculty member will contribute directly to the Mission of LECOM embodying the essence of Osteopathic Principles and Practices by assisting with Institutional fundraising and participating in the LECOM Scholarship Auction;
- Faculty member will participate in scholarly activity so to enrich and broaden the student learning experience;
- Faculty member will commit to being a representative of LECOM by being actively involved in the community, including, but not limited to, serving on Boards, participating in community fundraisers and overall outreach; and
- Accept other duties needed/assigned for the practice needs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Computer experience in the dental or other related field to allow for axiUm computer program entry;
- Knowledge of Patient Relations and Scheduling;
- Knowledge of ADA Coding;
- Compliance with State and Federal Regulations and Safety Protocols, at the practice level.
- Knowledge of patient / student privacy (i.e. HIPAA, FERPA…etc.);
- Follow proper OSHA and safety guidelines; Protect equipment (office, dental, facility);
- Strong communications skills are essential as well as computer literacy (MS Office Suit [i.e. Word, PowerPoint and Excel]) and accurate data entry skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Must be accurate and attentive to detail;
- Must be trained and certified on the Institutional Data System;
- Must have great skills in diagnosis and treatment planning in general dentistry;
- Maintaining an established work schedule;
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including tact and diplomacy;
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills, including attention to detail and follow-through;
- Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands;
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials;
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships;
- Be able to be flexible to accept other duties needed/assigned for the practice needs;
- The ability to work cooperatively and collegially with others, consistent with a workplace of dignity and respect and EEO rules and regulations;
- The ability to report to work as scheduled, ready to devote full attention and energy to the important work of LECOM; and
- The ability to accept work directives from managers and supervisors in a respectful and cooperative manner.
Education and experience equivalent to: General dentist with a D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree from a U.S. dental school required; teaching experience in dental academia preferred. Five (5) years or more of experience practicing general dentistry required. Advanced training in a hospital-based dental general practice residency (GPR) program or a dental school-based advanced education in general dentistry (AEGD)residency preferred. The successful candidate must have a current Pennsylvania dental license or be able to get one.