General Manager of Dealer Relations
General Manager of Dealer Relations- automotiveMastermind
SaaS Solution for the Automotive Industry
Our client company was founded on the idea that there are patterns in people’s behavior that, with the right logic, can be used to predict future outcomes. They are a small but rapidly growing organization that works in partnership with their customers to create solutions that are simply not found anywhere else. They work in groups rather than in structured corporate hierarchies; their culture is creative and entrepreneurial where everyone contributes to company goals in very real ways. They are a hardworking group, but they have a lot of fun with what they do and are looking for new people with a similar mindset to join the organization.THE TECHNOLOGYOur client’s proprietary software-as-a-service helps automotive dealerships and sales teams better understand and predict exactly which customers are ready to buy, the reasons why, and the key offers and incentives most likely to close the sale. Its micro-marketing engine then delivers the right message at the right time to those customers, ensuring higher conversion rates and a stronger ROI.THE ROLEThe General Manager of Dealer Relations is responsible for overall market expansion, dealer relationship management and retention. S/he is responsible for launch planning, overseeing product implementation, providing guidance, support, and training to Regional Area Managers, Dealer Relations Managers, and Dealer Relations Specialists. This position takes a proactive approach to leadership and recommends new ideas.
The GM of Dealer Relations will manage up to 5 direct reports (Regional Area Managers) with an additional 20-25 indirect reports (Dealer Relations Managers and Specialists) covering a specified geographical area and work as part of a larger team across the North American market. This is a leadership role where continual coaching of the team will help them improve their performance and prepare them for future roles. S/he maintains high personal performance and team performance standards, and requires nothing less than the best. S/he will be a culture carrier and will instill automotiveMastermind’s culture across both their team and the entire company.
S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day management of his/her direct reports. S/he will ensure employee engagement by cultivating his/her new direct reports and developing existing direct reports. This role will assist with career planning and provide mentorship for thorough development of team members. S/he will also deliver training to team members as part of their onboarding process and ongoing development. This person will provide interim coverage of the region should a member of his/her team be unable to perform the required activities.
This position will promote and attend frequent RAM/DRM Meetings. S/he will provide benchmarks for the team members and review CRM entries/data to ensure team is updating with correct information. The GM – Dealer Relations will identify process bottlenecks, and then define and implement new processes to overcome challenges.
The GM of Dealer Relations will actively recruit and hire new talent. S/he will source, select, and sell A Players to join the company. This role participates in multiple phases of the recruiting process, providing timely feedback.
Dealer Relationship Management
The GM of Dealer Relations serves as a key contact for our dealer management teams and helps manage the overall client relationship. This includes addressing issues that have been escalated and following through to resolve and manage the ongoing service level agreements. This person conducts monthly dealership performance reviews to ensure that our technology and predictive marketing tool are adding ongoing value to the client organization. This position will track dealer performance and create benchmarks. S/he will work with the Data team to establish timely reporting.
A successful GM of Dealer Relations must have a thorough understanding of automotiveMastermind’s functionality, related services & processes, and be able to communicate their value to our dealer partners. In addition, the General Manager will propose additional services as appropriate and ensure that product changes, new features, and releases are communicated to our dealer relations personnel and dealer partners. S/he will closely manage key accounts via frequent dealer visits and entertainment of important clients.
This position will support launches and performance visits as necessary, attending both events in person if needed. S/he will supportother GM’s as needed. The GM of Dealer Relations will ensure that automotiveMastermind’s Launch, Performance Visit, and Retention targets. Additionally, s/he will ensure the field team attains its monthly Marketing Penetration targets. This position will support accounting with meeting accounts receivable targets.
Business Development Management
The GM of Dealer Relations maintains a heavy focus on new customer acquisition and partners with the Strategic Business Development Team to achieve our long-term goals. This includes participation in strategic planning implementation, networking with existing contacts and clients to generate leads for new business, and leading presentations (pitches) for potential partners and client industry groups (e.g. OEM, Dealer Group Meetings, etc). This person must build and maintain OEM/dealer group relationships and be willing to travel70%+.
- Your honesty and integrity drives all of your actions. You honor commitments to both employees and clients. You believe in what you do, feel a vested interest in the company’s success, and communicate that commitment to your team.
- You have a Bachelors’ degree in Business, Management, Marketing or a related field and 15 or more years’ professional experience working in sales, marketing or customer service in a luxury retail environment and have experience leading and managing teams. Prior experience working in the automotive industry is strongly preferred. You have significant experienceworking with CRM tools and are generally at ease with technology.
- You communicate well both orally and in writing, and are comfortable with in-person and online presentations.
- You demonstrate business and financial acumen in your daily work. You easily establish rapport and develop meaningful relationships with your clients (dealer partners). Negotiations result in finding the win-win solutions to problems. You are skilled at persuading others.
- You evaluate procedures and find ways to increase efficiencies. You have the tenacity to complete all projects, particularly as the challenges increase. You proactively solicit feedback, ask questions, and resolve issues non-confrontationally. You perform as part of a larger team and look at long-term strategic objectives while simultaneously working independently to prioritize the work for your team and ensure delivery.
- You regularly assess your own performance and adapt to achieve best results.