The General Manager is responsible for a 24/7 complex operation and financial performance by providing direction and leadership to exempt and non-exempt associates at this facility. This position is responsible for developing and leading a team that will manage the employee performance, inventory, vendor, carrier, and customer relationships. This role is ultimately responsible for ensuring that orders are selected accurately and packed/shipped without damage for timely delivery. This position reports to the Director of Warehouse Operations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures operational procedures for executing activities for incoming and outgoing shipments, handling and disposition of products, and keeping the highest standards of inventory accuracy in place.
- Develops and manages a comprehensive strategy for the facility by shaping requirements, assessing deliverables and utilizing resources to help eliminate process problems.
- Plans long-term labor needs based on sales, forecasts and historical data
- Conducts analysis of workload compared to labor hours and equipment.
- Manages between 1-3 customers in the warehouse, typically Tier one customers and e-fulfillment customers.
- Typically manages 500,000 -1,000,000 + square feet of facilities and approximately 100 or more employees during non-peak times.
- Collaborates with teams from other facilities to share knowledge, problem solve
- Responsible for facility P&L and budget preparation.
- Audits all billing activity for accuracy. Properly signs and authorizes all purchase order requisitions, vouchers and customer billing.
- Ensures proper percentage of labor is charged to respective departments to ensure proper factoring is achieved to identify accurate productivity.
- Reports out on locations financial and operational performance.
- Conducts monthly review of aging for accounts receivable and works closely with the Director and Corporate office to recover balances in a timely fashion.
- Conducts annual review of customer contracts, determining and recommending annual increases to the Regional Vice-President and Director of Business
- Drives continuous improvements to safety, quality, cost and delivery while growing and expanding capabilities within the warehouse.
- Ensures the daily pre-shift meetings cover previous productivity, operational problems, forecasting workload and any other pertinent company information.
- Ensures proper staffing and support hiring for all facility operations.
- Ensures all new employees are properly on-boarded; completing required paperwork and following a structured training schedule.
- Produces and effectively communicates department goals and individual performance goals that ensure the facility achieves operational success.
- Manages and maintains good human resources practices with direct reports, and adherence to established corporate and department policies and procedures
- Works with Human Resources to resolve employee relation issues, discipline actions, problem resolution and terminations.
- Travels to other warehouses and participates in department or company meetings, as necessary
- Provides feedback, coaching, guidance, and recognition to enhance other's skill development.
- Plays an active role in employee development and talent selection.
- Acts as a role model for the department in support of corporate mission, vision, and values.
- Provides regular coaching and feedback on performance, prepares and presents formal performance appraisals and make recommendations and approve annual compensation increases.
- Exhibits a commitment to self-development by staying current on information, tools, and systems.
Safety and Security
- Implements safety and sanitation schedules that ensure the facilities compliance with corporate, OSHA, FDA, AIB or ASI standards.
- Coordinates all alarm-monitoring systems and reviews sprinkler system testing.
- Ensures the safe, clean and efficient operation of the facility to meet service standards
- Actively supports and participates in all safety initiatives in the facility
- Performs safety observations to coach employees on safety procedures
- Prevents associate incident and injury by overseeing accident investigations, assessing root cause analysis and implementing necessary improvements
- Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain, Business or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job, as determined by the company.
- 10+ years' overall experience and experience in managing a 500,000+ sq ft warehouse/distribution center with total revenues up to 1m
- Experience with Warehouse Management Systems (Manhattan preferred)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Working knowledge of warehouse / mechanical equipment
- Working knowledge of OSHA, DOT, HAZMAT, FDA regulations and the willingness to become certified in one or more of these areas as necessary
- Ability to work in fast paced environment.
- Ability to handle changing priorities and use good judgment in stressful situations
- Experience with seasonal work forces is a plus, but not required.
- Experience with or desire to learn performance metrics, process improvement, and Lean/Six Sigma tools.
- Excellent talent management and team building skills
- Excellent verbal, non-verbal, and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills specifically with external clients
- Excellent analytical and mathematical skills
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Must be on-call for alarm system or problems during off work hours
- Ability and availability to work irregular or extended hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed by the customer.
- Must be able to stand/walk for up to 10-12 hours.
- Lift and move totes up to 50 pounds.
- Regular bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head.
- Walking in the FC and around area with great frequency; facilities are over a quarter mile in length.
- Should be able to work in environments with variable noise levels, lighting conditions and temperature variation and able to access all areas of building without limitations.