The GM of Major Projects reports to the Motiva CEO and works directly with the GM of Port Arthur Refinery, the VP of Strategy and Business Development, and other Executive Leadership Team (ELT) members. As Major Projects ($500 MM+) pass through project development stage gates, the GM (or his Project Directors) will work with each Venture Manager to ensure the project is developed and resourced for successful work through the next stage gate.
Resourcing the project requires experienced people, appropriate time, and enough money that appropriate quality work is done expeditiously, while balancing cost and schedule with the economics of an overall project’s timeline.
The GM has overall responsibility for the development and realization of the hardware of the assets in major capital projects through start-up in terms of quality (i.e. engineering, construct-ability, etc.), schedule and costs.
In the Motiva system, the Venture Managers (opportunity development managers) for major projects report through the VP of Strategy and handle 90% of the early work of a project’s development through the Investment Proposal (IP) process. While each Venture Manager will be responsible to develop the IPs through each stage gate, this must be heavily coordinated with the GM of Major Projects and increasingly transfer key activities to the Major Projects group as the project develops through stage gates. By the final IP stage gate (Final Investment Decision or FID), the GM of Major Projects will essentially have 90% of the project’s key responsibilities.
The Refining Excellence group consists of refinery and chemical Subject Matter Experts, and currently, the Capital Projects group. The successful candidate must have experience working with technical SMEs and breaking major projects down into large projects that can be successfully coordinated with both the Refinery GM, as well as the Refining Excellence group’s personnel.
- 20+ years of experience in major projects
- Leadership experience in selecting and managing capital project teams
- Preference for chemical projects or large refinery projects
Develop overall EPC execution strategy plans for each major project, working with the various subject matter expert groups, including Refining Excellence, Procurements, Safety, etc.
- Work with HR and the ELT to recruit appropriate personnel as the projects progress through stage gates.
- Manage many Project Directors tasked with driving scoping (Front End Development Process Managers) and execution of individual large or major projects as sub-sets of Major Projects.
- Work with Refinery GM to coordinate build times & resolve any outstanding construction and local site integration items.
- Integrate the existing site operations and prepare for effective handover; the future Business Team Leads (BTLs) (number depends on technology and units) of the Major Project reports to the Major Projects GM during construction and transitions to Refinery business unit upon start-up.
- Evolve Project Control teams to establish all necessary project controls data to track baseline plan, earn values and actual performance and change management following Motiva project standardsrequired to communicate to CEO, Decision Review Board (DRB), futureaudits andfinance with transparency for overall project, engineering,construction, and operational start-up status. Review all work in process to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Update the overall, engineering and construction Status Reports for ELT review.
- Manage equipment schedules to ensure on-time deliveries.
- Manage all Construction contracts, including subcontractors, and their performance (working with Contracts and Procurement).
- Develop plans and schedules for job sites, equipment lay down, contractor parking, etc.
- Spend considerable time at each site to review current construction but visit each major project site at least twice per month to review current construction after FID (depends on final process units and locations selected).
- Ensure EPA and OSHA compliance (working with HSSE).
- Mentor and develop construction personnel to ensure maximum development and Motiva’s future success on projects utilizing and applying the project controls progress data to drive performance.
- Review and recommend improvements to proposed designs and planning.
- Obtain all necessary red-line information to plans and transitioning to the Refinery at the start-up, as well as new equipment specifications, etc.
- Work with Finance to ensure reviews and approvals of all contractors’ invoicing for work completed.