The General Manager serves as a primary representative of the company within the community. He/she is responsible for developing relationships with community leaders and news sources and for promoting the company in a positive and professional light. The General Manager has the ability to delegate and oversee production of editorial content, an ability to provide sales leadership by determining and driving revenue goals, implementing sales strategies and actively pursuing sales opportunities. He/she is detail-oriented approach to selling, customer service, and editing while prioritizing and accomplishing multiple management tasks within established timeframes by effectively planning and managing workload.
Who we are:
Community Impact Newspaper Company delivers 23 hyperlocal editions to 1.84 million homes throughout the Austin, Dallas and Houston areas. Each of the markets we serve has its own dedicated editorial, sales and design staff, just like a small, traditional community newspaper. And it is this hyperlocal, high-quality product that our readers love. With great content, 100% market saturation, why wouldn't advertisers clamor to work with us?! And this is why we are growing.
- Manage the newspaper's advertising, editorial, circulation, production and accounting functions
- Ensure weekly in-paper sales objectives are achieved or exceeded
- Train sales representatives and discuss obstacles in relation to overcoming objections, accounts receivable, prospecting and sales activity
- Strategize opportunities for additional in-paper revenue
- Demonstrate passion for the content and understand the mission and tone of the paper
- Provide editorial leadership by contributing relevant story ideas, connecting writers with contacts in the market, ensure stories are hyperlocal and assist with story development
- Proofread each issue for quality of content ensuring lead stories are balanced, best sources were contacted, maps and graphics are accurate and stories read clearly
- Contribute editorial content each month including, but not limited to, the General Manager?s note and information for features as needed
- Monitor profit and loss statement and seek creative ways to boost revenues and trim expenses
- Attend city council meetings, school board meetings, chamber meetings and other community events/meetings as often as possible to serve as the ?face? of the paper, develop relationships with sources and listen for story ideas
- Actively seek board seats and speaking opportunities for area organizations in the community
- Serve as the point of contact for concerns from readers and advertisers and provide issue resolution
- Hire, train, develop, manage and motivate team through effective management techniques to ensure employee engagement
- Serve as an ambassador for Community Impact Newspaper and represent the company in a positive and professional manner at networking events and other external functions
The right fit:
- Bachelor?s degree in business, communications, marketing, journalism or related field
- Experience in sales, marketing or related field
Bonus points for...
- Prior experience with other print publication(s) preferred