Reporting to the Regional Vice President, the General Manager is responsible for achieving the goals determined by the Corporation for the auction. Identify, hire, train, and mentor the management of today and the future for the auction. Perform all duties assigned by the Regional Vice President. Must know, practice and ensure that company policies and procedures and state and federal laws are followed at all times. Ensure that no company or customer information is inappropriately divulged to unauthorized parties.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensure proper follow-through on all directives, bulletins and schedules from the Corporate Office and Regional Vice President. Maintain a good flow of communication with Corporate Office, Regional Vice President and other auctions within the Corporation.
- Provide prompt and courteous service: both on the phone and in person.Make sure customers receive prompt, efficient and courteous attention for all contacts and transactions.
- Demonstrate friendliness and proper phone etiquette with every customer.
- Maintain a professional appearance consistent with the Handbook.
- Be familiar with procedures for handling all aspects of customer complaints and disputes and resolve any customer complaints in a friendly, courteous manner. Advise the Regional Vice President of all serious complaints or incidents.
- Initiate phone contact with customers to determine future needs. Respond to and follow through on all customer instructions. Advise customers of schedule changes required. Receive incoming phone calls, faxes and email communication from customers regarding questions and needs.
- Perform recruiting and hiring procedures for the auction per policy.
- Promote, develop and train all employees within the auction by company standards and guidelines. Monitor training conducted and ensure such training is according to company policy and procedures.
- Make sure auction is properly staffed at all times. Control regular and overtime payroll. Analyze daily planned schedules and advise Regional Vice President and auction management of schedule changes and problems immediately.
- Prepare and conduct performance appraisals for direct report employees and ensure that all other qualifying employees receive reviews.
- Maintain positive employee relations and morale whenever possible. Practice sound leadership and human relations principles to promote teamwork at all times. Set a good personal example of attitude and performance. Resolve employee relations problems, complaints, suggestions, etc. Follow-through and communicate employee relations problems to the Regional Vice President. Evaluate and take positive, consistent, disciplinary action on infractions of company policies and procedures as defined in the employee disciplinary policy. Conduct written warnings, suspensions and terminations of employees with the Human Resource Manager as necessary.
- Conduct employee meetings at least once a month or as necessary to communicate Company and Department issues and build teamwork among the employees. Maintain a good flow of communication with Regional Vice President and other pertinent auction personnel.
- Monitor and control all auction related conditions, vehicles, property and equipment within corporate standards for cleanliness, proper maintenance and safety. Conduct daily inspections to determine if appearance meets these standards.
- Advise Facilities all breakdowns and maintenance immediately. Ensure good routine preventive maintenance.
- Make sure all Department area conditions do not threaten employee or customer safety. Respond to and follow proper procedures on employee and customer accidents, injuries, and loss or damage to any property. Report all incidents immediately. Ensure functional specifications are sound, efficient and support ADESA goals. Practice and instruct all employees in proper loss prevention and reaction procedures. Report all incidents properly and immediately.
- Attend a Profit and Loss Statement review each accounting period with the Regional Vice President. Ensure accurate and timely reconciliation of auction accounting with weekly and monthly corporate reports. Initiate and follow up on discrepancies. Monitor accounts receivable and report variances to Regional Vice President, Controller and Central Office.
- Direct proper record keeping and follow-through on all sales promotions, advertising and telesales. Recommend new customer services and procedures to the Marketing Manager and other sales staff.
- Monitor all auction Accounts and work with other Managers to ensure maximum increase of potential sales. Monitor and ensure compliance with sale plan layouts, corporate requirements with all contractual customer, contractors, and supplier agreements and other directives. Advise and assist with corrective procedures, if needed. Initiate and complete accurate vehicle transfers as instructed. Ensure the use of marketing tools on selected customer accounts as instructed.
- Monitor all local competition and recommend competitive strategies to the Regional Vice President, other auctions and the local auction’s sales staff.
- Account for and identify all keys, codes or other safety or security information.
Make sure company driving safety standards are met and substance abuse prevention and control procedures are followed for all auction activity.
Educational Requirements and Qualifications:
Bachelor’s Degree with auction and automotive experience or High School Diploma/GED and at least five (5) years auction experience and five (5) years automotive or similar work experiencerequired. Must be qualified to operate a motor vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license.
KAR is an equal opportunity employer. KAR is a drug-free workplace