About this Role
Based in Los Angeles, the General Manager role oversees all aspects of the business in the greater Los Angeles region, including lead and manage qualitative and quantitative performance in sales, operations, and expansion of our in person and online education businesses in the market. As our business continues to expand at a very fast pace, we need a strong business leader who could not only run our education business, but build sustainable relationship with government and key enterprises, build and grow our Flatiron School Brand, and drive the success of all operational support for Education teams in the region. Key to the success for this role also includes being the voice of the market internally and partner with key functions such as marketing, sales, academics, career services, people, tech, legal, and finance to grow the Flatiron School community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Set the tone for the team, demand performance, and drive results while also growing the next generation of leaders in the market and in the company. Responsible for all hiring and firing in the market.
- Manage the region P&L - student growth, job placements, utilization, revenue & margins - managing budgets
- Be ultimately responsible for the health of community and experience of the educational offerings
- Be ultimately responsible for the performance and organizational health of local Education team
- Build a strong local brand through executing marketing campaigns (events, promotion etc.), in partnership with the Marketing team
- Navigate local regulatory status and work with legal on government relations
- Coordinate with the Communications team to be the spokesperson for local press
- Build and manage high level relationships and partnerships within the market, with a specific focus on large enterprise and universities
- Partner with HQ to manage vendor relationships
- Mentor team to reach Education goals and execute on all objectives
- Act as liaison between your regional team and the Flatiron School HQ team as well as the WeWork General Manager for the region
- Maintain Flatiron School and WeWork brand standards in your market
- Build a local expansion plan to drive growth in offerings and students, in partnership with the Expansion team
Experience and Requirements
- BA / BS or equivalent in Business, Sales, Marketing, or other related degree
- MBA preferred
- Minimum 10+ years experience in education, FMCG, startups, consulting or related experience with strong operational focus
- P&L experience required
- Managed organizations of 100+ people, preferably in multiple locations
- Passion and understanding for entrepreneurial communities
- Thrive in a fast paced environment while maintaining excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication, organization and project management skills
- Assertive and have a strong drive to develop those around you, being an inspirational leader
- Demonstrate integrity, dependability, responsibility, accountability, self-awareness, work ethic, and empathy
- Speaking local language and understand local culture
- Proven experience with strategic planning and business scaling
- Entrepreneurial experience is a plus
- Experience managing sales in fast scaling consumer brand preferred
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School teaches passionate, creative people how to code. We've been teaching since 2012, and now we're developing software and programs to bring our successful curriculum to more students. We are more than just a school — we are a team of mission-driven individuals trying to align education with reality. Over our five years as a school, we've helped over one thousand students learn to code and launch careers in tech. To achieve these outcomes, we've never let ourselves stop growing – we've constantly iterated on our curriculum, evolved our teaching techniques, and created technology to improve our students' learning experience.
For the next step in our growth, Flatiron School has joined the WeWork family. In WeWork, we've found a partner who shares the mission we've had since the beginning: to enable passionate people to learn the skills they need to pursue careers and lives they love. And that mission won't change. As part of WeWork, we look forward to working together to expand our in-person and online programs and further increase accessibility to our transformative education.
Critical Competencies for Success
- You do what you love!
- Credibility is earned at Flatiron School through execution and getting things done.
- You get into the details and deliver results under highest expectations on time and quality.
- Be ready to get hands-on with all aspects of the daily needs. The buck stops with you.
- Pragmatism and outcomes orientation are valued and lead to wins.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- You have the flexibility to think outside the box.
- You have the ability to foresee and identify needs of the team.
- You take an innovator and creator's approach to any issues that may arise.
- There is no room for "I" at Flatiron School. Every role and individual is in the organization to serve "We".
- Builds trust across the organization by being a good listener and inclusively soliciting input.
- You are open to new and innovative solutions.
- You must present well and communicate clearly and effectively to upper management and internal departments.
- You're willing to adjust course when appropriate new ideas or objections are raised.
- You love working with people!