Vantage's General Counsel will report to the company's President & CEO, and Lewis Capital. The responsibility of the General Counsel will be leading corporate strategic and tactical, budgetary and legal initiatives. The General Counsel will provide senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel will be directly involved in complex business transactions in negotiating critical contracts and must position him or herself as a vital business partner within the organization. This company is run by the numbers and strictly adheres to weekly reporting and holding people accountable to their numbers.
Inclusion in the Executive Bonus & Equity Plan, prorated the first year of employment.
Vantage Deluxe World Travel is the leader in adventure travel for thirty-five years. Since 1983, Vantage Deluxe World Travel develops and delivers memorable travel journeys on seven continents whether on land, riverboats or small ships.
Vantage Deluxe World Travel is a $300 million, state-of-the-art direct marketer of travel to the affluent mature market. When you join the Vantage team you become part of a global company, headquartered in Boston, with eight regional offices around the world. Our worldwide teams work together to provide exciting, culturally enriching travel programs to destinations on all seven continents, including on our European river cruise fleet. Since 1983, more than 400,000 travelers have joined us to see the world.
- Work with Human Resources to ensure all policies and procedures meet all areas of Legal Compliance.
- Ensure that all contracts for the Company are accurate, include Company standards and Quality requirements and work with the management team to ensure the ROI is achieved.
- Manages (with minimal intervention with outside counsel) all legal matters that involve Vantage or its operating companies within approved budgets.
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provide continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Identifies and mitigates risks, problem solves, and proposes prompt, clear and practical strategic advice and solutions regarding the Company's commercial transactions, including direct contact with regional customers on an escalation basis.
- Serve as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Oversees civil litigation. Advises Senior Management as to litigation and settlement strategies. Judge the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, work with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approve settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Advise on legal aspects of the company's financing including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Ensures that all "nexus" issues are addressed such that the operating companies are not exposed in any jurisdiction to unfavorable tax rulings, whether domestic or international.
- Reviews and assesses on an ongoing basis the global corporate structure of each operating company in order to minimize legal and tax exposure.
- Reviews (and modifies as appropriate and keeps current) all standard contracts used by either operating company so as to ensure that all agreements being used completely protect the company's interests.
- Working with Senior Management, assists in the evaluation and due diligence for any potential business and real estate acquisitions that either operating company may consider.
- Manages all issues related to patents, trademarks, service marks and other registrations as appropriate, including internet domain names.
- Works with Senior Management to oversee estate/succession planning for principal shareholder.
- Undertakes all legal work with respect to real estate closings for either company and/or the principal shareholder of the companies.
- Maintains all minute books, shareholder records, and related matters for Vantage Travel Service, Inc., Lewis Capital, and related entities.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Juris Doctorate (J.D) with Bar admission.
- Licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 7-10 years' in practice with at 5 years in-house corporate counsel experience.
- 5 years' experience in Human Relations compliance and workforce management.
- Contract law expertise and proven success in civil litigation prevention, preparation and management.
- Experience with international legal matters and demonstration of sound judgment when to engage with external counsel operating outside of the United States.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office, Contract Management and Document Management Systems.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vantage Travel is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.