General Counsel for Mevion is responsible for overseeing legal matters and for advising Mevion, its management and Board of Directors on all legal matters across the company on a global basis. Manage outside legal counsel and legal vendors. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Advise Mevion management and Board of Directors on all legal matters on a global basis including serving as key legal advisor on all major business transactions.
- Negotiate, write and execute legal agreements and contracts with customers, vendors, distribution partners, and others as required
- Provide strategic leadership and advice on global IP strategy and portfolio. Manage process to ensure appropriate protection of IP
- Provide support on employment law issues to the Human Resources department.
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provide continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Set corporate policies to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations wherever Mevion operates.
- Work cross-functionally with other Mevion senior leaders on strategic initiatives and in implementing business plans
- Manage the Legal team’s budget and expenditures.
- Monitor and control spending on outside counsel and other legal vendors.
- Manage recruiting and selection of new Legal team members as Mevion grows.
- Manage litigation or investigations involving the company.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with Juris Doctor degree from an accredited U.S. law school
- Current license to practice law in the U.S., membership in good standing in the State Bar where license is held. Must be willing and able to pursue license to practice law in MA.
- 7+ years of progressively responsible legal leadership experience as a General Counsel, or Corporate Attorney in a technology company, or other comparable industry; or 7+ years of varied legal leadership experience in a legal firm including two or more of the following disciplines: contract law, IP, business law or international law. Experience in medical device or other highly regulated industry is preferred.
- Significant experience with intellectual property, writing complex sales contracts, contract negotiation and administration, and financing transactions.
- Ability to communicate in Mandarin Chinese required
- Knowledge of U.S. Federal and State laws
- Experience with international law preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Self starter with willingness to be hands on and work at both strategic and tactical level
- Organized with ability to work on multiple projects and set appropriate priorities
- Ability to work independently and with a diverse set of personalities.
- Team player with willingness to work across functional boundaries to solve problems.
- Proven track record of learning quickly, taking initiative, working proactively, being resourceful, and taking on additional responsibilities.
- Strong judgment with a high sense of urgency.