The general counsel serves as chief legal counsel, overseeing and managing the provision of legal services to the university, and provides strategic guidance, consultation and support to senior university administrators and managers on a comprehensive range of legal and associated issues involved in carrying out the mission of the university.
The general counsel works under the leadership of the president and chief operating officer at the Providence Campus.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides legal counsel and guidance to members of the university community on a wide variety of topics
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues and counsels senior management on how the law may affect current and emerging business and policy decisions, objectives and initiatives
- Reviews, researches, interprets and prepares both written and oral opinions on a wide variety of legal issues
- Drafts, reviews and approves policies, procedures, regulations, bylaws and other legal documents
- Reviews contracts, leases and other legal documents; researches legal issues and recommends revisions as necessary
- Represents or oversees the representation of the university in judicial and administrative proceedings
- Assists university departments with maintaining compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Selects and retains outside counsel, as necessary, to obtain legal opinions or to handle claims and litigation; supervises the work of other university attorneys and outside counsel
- Prepares and monitors departmental budget
- Supervises and develops the department staff, facilitating professional opportunities to improve individual capability and managing performance against job accountabilities, department goals and established university, campus and department policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Juris doctorate
- Significant amount of experience working in legal services, the practice of law or other related experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a license to practice law from the Rhode Island Bar Association
- Experience working in higher education.