Commercial Real Estate
Beverly Hills, California
Our client is a fully integrated real estate investment, development, and finance firm with over 30 years of real estate experience. This is an excellent opportunity for a top legal leader to join a growing, successful real estate investment, private lending firm in this significant role.
The General Counsel we seek, provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel. The responsibilities of the General Counsel spans across all aspects of the business particularly acquisitions, lending, financing, equity raise leasing dispositions and development.
1. Capable of managing an in-house attorney and para-legal and any future in-house attorneys in the system
2. Able to coordinate with Producers in the company (Acquisitions, Disposition, Lending, Financing, etc dept heads) in getting what he/she needs to proactively and strategically manage and plan the legal process of a deal.
3. Manage Production on a high-level and strategic manner. Ex: We want this person to be able to provide strategic legal and business input on negotiating, and closing all types of transactions that BOLOUR works on. We can provide a list of these.
4. Manage and identify 3rd party attorneys that are the right fit for the company and the specific task. This person should be able to communicate scope of work clearly in a manner that avoids mistakes, waste in billing and inefficiency.
5. Manage Template and Legal Form creation. This includes being able to implement these templates and train in-house attorneys to utilize these forms effectively to reduce redundancy, improve efficiency and decentralize and push legal work down
6. Provide input on procedural issues within the legal related procedures within all facets of the company
Legal Skills and Knowledge
1. Understand Real Estate Agreements at a level where he/she can create customized agreements when necessary and keep documents updated with new laws Examples of these agreement include but are not limited to:
a. Commercial Leases
b. Purchase and Sale Agreements
c. Operating Agreements for complex JV entities
d. Loan Documents for the company's lending business
1. Be able to comprehend legal and business-related context for complicated transactions. Involving Real Estate Agreements that need to be negotiated directly or through 3rd party attorneys. Examples of these agreement include but are not limited to:
a. CMBS, Life Insurance, Bank, Construction Loan Documents
b. Purchase and Sale Agreements
c. Development related Legal documents
d. Commercial and Corporate leases
e. Purchase/Sale Option Agreements
f. Note Sale Agreements
1. As this person is managing the legal process of Value-add deals he/she should be able to provide both business and strategic value to the process interchangeably depending on the context and the elements of each specific deal.
2. Work with executives to think through corporate strategy related to the following:
a. Acquisitions/ Deal Structuring.
b. Licensing compliance for CFL, BRE, and other state licenses. This person is not expected to understand all of the licensing regulations, but can be resourceful in obtaining answers from 3rd party attorneys.
c. Different equity structures like fund structures, syndications, mez and preferredequity structures.
d. Asset Management legal protocol for the Lending business. This is related to issues like foreclosure, default, etc.
e. Asset Management legal protocol and compliance for all outstanding loans and equitypartnerships in our RE portfolio
f. Oversight and macro input of all litigation matters with all departments.
• 5–10 years as a practicing attorney in California, managing legal affairs in a commercial real estate setting.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Knowledge must include purchase and sale agreements, options, land leases and easements, operating and administration agreements, financing documents, title insurance policies, general liability policies, land surveys, and general litigation.
• Experience in general corporate law, real estate, finance, construction, commercial transactions, and handling of real estate regulatory issues in California.
• Strong business acumen.
• Combination of MBA and JD desirable.