The purpose of this role is to build and manage industry-leading, next generation molecular and quantitative genetics capabilities to enhance and advance innovation in our breeding and trait pipelines. In this role, you will drive improvements in the research, development and delivery of products by enabling the analysis and visualization of large and complex datasets driving genetics-based decisions in Seeds R&D. Accountabilities
- Lead the Genetics Group, providing innovative genetics research competencies to the organization with special emphasis on native traits and breeding projects within the Syngenta portfolio.
- Provide leadership, direction and management of a Genetics Group spanning four sites on two different continents.
- Lead the innovation within Syngenta in the area of Genetics research, nourish scientific excellence of the Genetics Group, maintain a network within the scientific community in the field, and bring new concepts into Syngenta R&D in a timely fashion to support our industrial innovation leadership.
- Build effective partnerships with Seeds Product Development, R&DIS, and Seeds Research to support breeding and native traits development, and to drive innovations from genetics research into development in alignment with business needs.
- As a member of the Computational Biology Leadership Team, contribute to the development and implementation of computational science strategy, including the convergence of genomics, genetics and modeling capabilities.
- Lead the development and implementation of genetics research strategies in alignment with business needs.
- Drive the convergence of molecular and quantitative genetics in support of breeding.
- Partnering with R&DIS, provide research subject matter expertise and prototyping in the development of new and innovative genetics tools.
- Provide technical knowledge to scout and evaluate new opportunities in Genetics and be the in-house expert on competitor’s activities in this area.
- Develop and manage operational and capital budget for the Genetics Group.
- Maximize scientific, operational and procedural excellence and efficacy.
- Perform all activities in accordance with the Syngenta Health, Safety, Environmental Policy and Quality Management/Stewardship guidelines.
Essential Skills & Knowledge
- Demonstrated success in leading a complex, results-oriented research program requiring scientific creativity, innovative thinking, organization and collaborative skills.
- Proven leadership skills, in particular in partnering, influencing and working with global cross functional and cross cultural teams in the absence of a direct functional management relationship.
- Demonstrated proficiency in planning, coordinating and communicating group activities across diverse functional and administrative boundaries.
- Demonstrated success in working in a range of research environments and across a breadth of quantitative and molecular genetics projects.
- Staff performance evaluation; development and administration of individual development plans within an organization framework.
- Experience with change management.
- Ability to translate cross-disciplinary knowledge into a vision for the further development of innovative and novel genetics methodologies, algorithms and approaches for Syngenta, and to translate this vision into a coherent strategy, with well defined tactics for implementation.
- Ability to create, champion, lead, prioritize and coordinate innovative research project activities across diverse scientific, professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to clearly communicate research plans, drivers, and progress to business stakeholders, project leaders, research managers and technical partners.
- Ability to successfully cultivate an effective team environment and promote the full engagement of team members across disciplines at all levels and across sites.
- Research expenditure forecasting and budget management.
- Project planning and tracking in an interdisciplinary and multifunctional context.
- Interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated effectiveness in collaboration.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in plant genetics or related field, and 10+ years professional experience in the area of industrialbiotechnology, crop genetics or related area.
- Understanding of genetics, breeding, and computational science required for the accountabilities above.
- Understanding of the Seeds business to develop appropriate genetics research programs and strategy.
- Project and portfolio management knowledge in the context of a matrixed organization (cross-functional, cross-sites, cross-business) and technical environment.