Staff Firmware Engineer
We are seeking an experienced, high caliber Staff Firmware Engineer who will design and develop best-in-class implantable and external medical devices in the field of neuromodulation, for the treatment of chronic pain and neurological disorders. With oversight and direction from the group manager, the successful candidate will work within a group of highly skilled technical individuals, in an interactive and collaborative environment, where excellence is the norm and customer satisfaction is paramount. Armed with excellent technical skills in computer science, she or he will be responsible for designing, analyzing, testing, and documenting products; nurturing our culture of innovation and commitment to quality.
Each employee can make a difference at Abbott and has the power, either individually or as a team, to influence the success of the company. We are team-oriented, fast-paced and progressive. We value people with great ideas who partner with others both internally and externally to take action and accomplish goals.
Major, On-Going Responsibilities:
- 10 + years of industry experience
- With the project execution plan and schedule as the guide, participate in firmware design and development activities, including detailed design, analysis, integration and test of C, C++ for real-time (time-critical) embedded systems designs.
- Detailed firmware designs for low power, mixed signal embedded systems for implantable medical devices.
- Detailed BLE design and implementation for implantable medical devices.
- Modification and maintenance of implantable medical devices.
- Create, edit, and maintain documentation related to design controls and quality system guidelines.
- Remain current with firmware technologies and their applications in medical devices, particularly in the neuromodulation field, by monitoring industry events and literature.
- Strive for excellence, and help others achieve excellence, by promoting our core values, helping nurture a culture of quality and customer satisfaction.
- Utilizing the knowledge and insight from new and emerging technologies, participate in improving firmware design procedures and techniques, enabling the organization to develop products with higher safety, efficacy that provide the utmost in customer satisfaction.
- Assist the team in studies on functional and parametric (i.e. timing) product performance.
- Participate in activities related to product and process improvements, product life cycle extension and expansion, bolstering the reach of life changing medical technologies and products.
- Maintain an innovative and fun work environment
Your experience(s), education and knowledge will further expand Abbott’s marketplace success:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent; Master’s degree is desired or related experience
- 10+ years of industry experience in analog and digital (embedded systems) development, including firmware, unit and systems level testing and integration activities.
- Working knowledge of TI and/or Nordic BLE hardware/stack
- Experience with ARM uVision toolchain and Cortex-M processor family
- Hands on experience with Bluetooth LE protocol analyzer equipment
- Embedded low-power microcontroller hardware design.
- Experience with mixed signal processors, such as the MSP430.
- Good understanding of Computer Architecture and embedded software development best practices.
- This job requires good written and verbal communication, interpersonal, facilitation, presentation, quantitative, analytical, organizational, follow-up skills, and the ability to meet deadlines on multiple projects as well as the ability to converse effectively with all levels of employees.
- A demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies, and tasks is also required.
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments.
- Must be able to perform in a diverse cross-functional and cross geologically located team environment