- Job ID #:5232
Owens-Illinois, Inc., (O-I) is the world's leading designer and manufacturer of pure, sustainable, healthy glass containers for many of the world's most well-known food and beverage brands. We are looking for a motivated, talented individual to join our organization as a Furnace and Refractory Design Engineer at our World Headquarters in Perrysburg, Ohio.
Furnace and refractory design and operations engineer for glass melting furnaces for container glass manufacturing facilities in a global environment. Provide technical support for projects including scoping, estimation, design, construction and commissioning. Provide operating and maintenance support for the applicable systems to the facilities.
Responsible for complex and significant projects using considerable engineering expertise in furnace and refractory design and hot repair techniques to complete projects with minimal technical oversight.
(All other duties as assigned)
- Scoping, estimating, design, selection, inspection, and construction supervision of furnace refractories with minimal oversight. Supervision of internal and external engineering staff for the aforementioned areas.
- Guide engineers during the production of drawings.
- Review drawings and Bills of Materials for accuracy and completeness.
- Perform and report on furnace audits and campaign life assessments. Follow-up with necessary hot repair documentation, solutions to issues, and supervision of repairs.
- Mentor engineers and designers in design and audit practices and techniques.
- Provide feedback to Global Furnace Team and other disciplines for improvement of design, construction practices, material standards, etc.
- Provide direction as required to aide in decision making related to the scope, schedule, cost and risk assessment for projects as part of business case development and validation.
- Strong communication skills required. Will be expected to present to furnace team, project teams, and plant teams.
SCOPE AND IMPACT
- Responsible for scoping, supervision and follow-up of design and repair project development.
- Required to support ongoing development and proper use of furnace and refractory standards.
- Expected to provide input into decisions with potentially significant financial impacts to the business.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BachelorDegree in Ceramic/Chemical/Mechanical Engineering.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Ceramic Engineeringpreferred. Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent knowledge will be considered.
- 5+ years of experience in glass furnace and refractory design, construction, audits and hot repairs.
- Ability to work within multinational environments
- MS Office knowledge
- AutoCAD knowledge
- English skills: Oral – Advanced, Written/Reading – Advanced
This job reports to the North America Engineering Furnace Design Discipline Leader
Similar positions to this job include engineers from the Civil/Structural, Mechanical, Electrical and Product Handling disciplines within North American Engineering.