Selective Insurance is looking for a Full Stack Web Developer to join a newly formed team whose mission is to re-architect, design, and modernize one of the company’s core business systems. This role will be critical to the success of the initiative since it will have responsibility for both identifying technical solutions as well as implementing the application. The ideal candidate for this position must possess a strong technical background including experience developing proof of concepts, selecting tools, recommending design patterns, integrating enterprise applications, and designing and developing layered applications. Since the target state for the application will be web-enabled and service-based, the Full Stack Web Developer should have experience working on multiple web and/or service based projects of medium to large scale; ideally from project inception to release. The role also calls for an individual who can effectively communicate across multiple teams, solve complex issues, and mentor other development team members.
- Work with application architects, enterprise architects, and senior development staff to define and design the future state target application architecture for the new application.
- Evaluate design patterns, integration patterns, and enterprise software and make recommendations for use in the application.
- Run Proof of Concepts (POC) for new solutions where necessary to determine feasibility and fit into Selective’s environment.
- Create system design, develop, and test (unit, integration, etc.) code in accordance with development team standards.
- Resolve challenging coding issues for other development team members on the project.
- Participate in code level and system level hardening activities for the new application.
- Actively reduce technical debt across the applicaiton throughout the project life cycle.
- Identify any technical risks or gaps within the system and recommend alternate mitigation approaches.
- Partner with other IT teams to advance the technical requirements of the system. Build and maintain strong working relationships with the key IT teams.
- Work with key business stakeholders to understand business needs and identify new solutions to key business needs.
- Openly share ideas on new approaches with the team and mentor other team members on development best practices.
College degree in Computer Science, Management Information Science, Business Administration or related field preferred. A minimum of 7 years’ experience in software application development and maintenance required along with strong database skills.
- Expert ASP.Net MVC / C# skills
- Full stack developer (UI, Business Tier, Service Tier, Database)
- Working knowledge of Front End development using bootstrap, HTML5, CSS
- Advanced knowledge of Oracle or SQL Server including T-SQL or PL/SQL
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working on geographically distributed teams
- Excellent problem solving skills
- 2 or more large Web project implementations
- Lead developer role (e.g. establishing development standards, mentoring team members in design/development best practices)
- Application conversion to web MVC a plus
- Advanced Middle Tier development skills using WebAPI 2, REST, SOAP
- Experience with multiple integration patterns and techniques
- Advanced experience with Source Code Control and Unit Testing
- Knowledge of Design Patterns, Object Oriented Design & Programming (OOD & OOP)
- Use of SOLID and DRY design principles
- Experience designing and implementing complex solutions using Object Oriented Design & Programming (OOD & OOP)
- Experience working with Onshore/Offshore teams
- IIB, MQ experience
- Experience working on or with Agile teams
- Experience with continuous integration
- Experience implementing clean coding best practices via code reviews and code inspection tools
- Knowledge of Event Driven Architecture and messaging patterns
- Experience with web security (OWASP)
- Experience with application security such as: SAML, SSO, OAuth 2, or API Security