We are seeking a curious and motivated individual to join our Scratch team at the MIT Media Lab. With over 100 million unique visitors per year, Scratch (scratch.mit.edu) is one of the world’s largest online communities for children. With Scratch, kids can create and share interactive media such as stories, games, and animations using a free and open source programming environment.
Here at the Lifelong Kindergarten (MIT Media Lab), we are passionate about creating technology that enables kids to think creatively, work collaboratively, and reason systematically. We’re a small, close-knit team of passionate designers, engineers, and researchers with diverse backgrounds from across the tech industry, various startups, and many open source projects. We’re looking for engineers who enjoy collaborating as much as coding, and who thrive in an environment of continual iteration and improvement. We’re located inside of the MIT Media Lab amidst a giant pit of LEGO bricks – so a thirst for creative making (and a little tolerance for mess) is a must!
- Design, prototype, implement, and evolve features for the Scratch programming language and online community
- Share your knowledge and best-practices via documentation, wikis, workshops, and conferences
- Help shape technical direction and engineering process
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or 2+ years professional experience with web application development and design
- Working knowledge of a web development stack, from server to client
- Passionate about learning new technologies and building delightful user experiences
- Experience with React
- Experience with Node.js
- Experience shipping software using a CI / CD pipeline
- Experience with localization / translation workflows