The Simons Foundation is seeking an experienced software engineer to contribute to HumanBase (humanbase.io), a novel, interactive web-based application, which will be a relied upon resource for thousands of biologists and biomedical researchers worldwide. You will tackle complex engineering challenges in building interactive visualizations for biomedical researchers and developing API services for integration of large-scale genomic data. As a member of our team, you will make a direct and lasting impact on the study of human genomics and disease. In addition to software development, you will work collaboratively with scientists and researchers.
- Participate in the planning, design and development of HumanBase, a data-driven, web-based application for biologists and biomedical researchers worldwide.
- Create interactive visualizations for exploring genomic data and biological predictions using D3 and React
- Design and develop Python REST API services for integrating, querying and visualizing large-scale genomic data.
- Learn about cutting-edge machine-learning approaches to analyze heterogeneous biological data
- Contribute to defining software best practices, coding standards and standardization of tools.
- Work collaboratively in a vibrant environment with colleagues from diverse technical fields
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required
- You are passionate about software engineering and have a strong interest in science.
- You enjoy working in a small team and collaborating with others from diverse technical backgrounds.
- You have experience developing full-stack web-based applications with Django and React.
- You have at least four years’ experience as a software engineer participating in the planning, design and development of web-based products.
- You have extensive experience with the entire software development lifecycle (SDLC) and associated tools (version control, deployment, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science
OTHER BENEFICIAL EXPERIENCE
- Experience with Linux, Nginx, Gunicorn, Elasticsearch and Docker.
- Familiarity with machine-learning principles