Job Summary: Performs complex software engineering tasks. Acts as a senior technical consultant or project leader and as a liaison with other departments, divisions and organizations. Provides technical direction to research, design, develop and test engineering activities. Evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services. Reviews project progress and evaluates results. Estimates costs, schedules and manpower, and provides technical direction for proposal efforts. This position typically works under limited supervision and direction. Incumbents of this position will regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides technical direction to software development/engineering programs, team members and managers.
• Outlines and communicates the most appropriate technical approach for business development activities.
• Determines the technical direction and strategy for solving complex, significant or major issues.
• Identifies, investigates and resolves technical issues.
• Plans and evaluates architectural design and identifies technical risks and associated ways to mitigate those risks.
• Communicates technical advancements, through briefings and technical papers, to co-workers, management staff, customers, and technical community, as appropriate.
• Prepares design proposals to reflect cost, schedule and technical approaches.
• Recommends test control, strategies, apparatus and equipment.
• Defines test schedules and test data requirements. Tests software and documents results.
• Prepares development software, codes software and designs specific enhancements.
• Maintains liaison with customer, subcontractor and vendor representatives.
• Evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
• Conducts in-house design reviews and technical meetings.
• Maintains state-of-the-art awareness in areas of technical expertise - changes, advancements and improvements.
• Applies expertise to all areas of software engineering and development.
• Responsible for innovation and creativity in broad area of software engineering and development.
• Provides functional or resource planning guidance to programming, engineering and management staff or groups.
• Interfaces with team members, management staff, customers, subcontractors and vendors.
• Identifies software engineering process improvements, and enforces the execution of them across the organization.
• Participates in total quality management/continuous process improvement teams.
• Assumes additional technical responsibilities as necessary.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Four-year college degree in computer science, electronic engineering or other related technical discipline, plus a minimum of twelve years of related experience or a master's degree with ten years of related experience. Experience to include software development/engineering, developing state-of-the-art computer software, exercising creativity in technical direction and successful strategy development. Ability to interpret technical contract requirements. Requires proficiency using programming languages such as: Java, "C/C++/C#," Product Lifecycle Management, graphics or other developmental software. May require ability to develop software in a Unix, Windows Server 2003/2008/Vista/XP/Windows 7 and up, Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) or other PC environments. May require experience with embedded processing. Ability to use PC software such as word processing, database, spreadsheet and flowchart, and Computer Aided Software Engineering (CASE) tools. Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, and interface with customers, subcontractors and vendors. Must be able to solve complex and difficult engineering problems. Knowledge of customer needs and competing products desirable. Ability to analyze and solve complex and difficult software engineering problems. Able to prioritize work and complete multiple tasks under deadline and budget guidelines. Must be able to work in a lab environment and be able to use a computer. Must be available for domestic and possible international travel.