What You'll Be Doing
- Designing, implementing and optimizing web products used by millions of users.
- Turning product plans into code, involving close collaboration with product managers, designers, and front-end web and mobile developers.
- Building highly scalable API services.
- Supporting the design and maintenance of the 500px systems infrastructure.
- Involved in technical planning and architectural decision-making.
- Coordinating and collaborating with developers across multiple teams and tech stacks.
- Providing technical leadership and mentorship to other team members.
- Becoming intimately familiar with our servers and forming an opinion about how to debug and improve them.
- Be able to work independently, and be effective at getting yourself unblocked when you need it.
- Helping the team prioritize, assess risk, and evaluate tradeoffs.
- Engaging in discussions thoughtfully, and supporting clear decision making throughout the team.
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- A positive attitude and a strong intellectual curiosity.
- 3+ years of web development experience.
- Experience shipping software at scale, with a product-focused mindset.
- Experience working with web frameworks like Ruby on Rails, Django, and Express.
- Familiarity with MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Memcached, and ElasticSearch.
- A solid understanding of the pros/cons of these different tools, and sound judgement in evaluating their tradeoffs for different applications.
- Intermediate-level knowledge of fundamental web technologies including HTTP and RESTful services, and common web security pitfalls.
- Interesting technical challenges
- Competitive salaries, quarterly bonus structure
- Flexible hours
- Catered lunches, snacks and drinks
- Great health and dental benefits, paid parental leave
- Professional development opportunities
Our Interview Process
- Phone screen: <1hr conversation with HR.
- Coding challenge: We'll ask you to write some code, and then share it with us to review.
- In-person interviews: 3-5 hours at our office where you'll meet multiple members of our team.