Groupon's mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we're positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
Are you a passionate, energetic and technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across our suite of technologies? Are you a problem solver; someone who enjoys debugging code, resolving issues, and creating solutions for common problems? Do you get a little obsessed with the details?
Groupon Things to Do is looking for passionate full stack developers to work in a small, independent and agile team, and collaborate with product and design to implement product features quickly. Our team is passionate about creating a great work environment for software engineers. To us, that means a great deal of autonomy, ownership of as much of the stack as possible. We like to pair program, practice test-driven development, and learn from one another every day.
You'll spend your time:
- Building the consumer experience for Things to Do and the many services that support it. This includes front end development on the web as well as middleware API work for both web and mobile
- Working with product and design to create an amazing user experience
- Building integration and unit tests along with code
- Building for scale and performance
- Working with other developers across Groupon to ensure we use best practices and share knowledge and experience across the company
- Working in an agile development environment with short sprints, standups, and retros and pair programming as often as you like
- Participating in code reviews and help others write better code
- Building global, internationalized solutions
We're excited about you if you have:
- 2+ years developing with a server-side stack (Ruby on Rails, Node.js, etc.)
- 2 + years experience with backend development
- 2 + years experience with frontend developement
- Experience with Ruby/Ruby on Rails, Java or other scripting languages.
- Experience using front-end frameworks like Backbone, Ember, or Angular.
- Experience with Node.js or the ability to get great at it in a couple weeks.
- Experience building internal and external APIs and RESTful web services.
- Proven ability to work with a team to find creative solutions, release rapidly and ship elegant, customer-centric applications.
- Experience with Preact or React is a plus.
- Taken ownership of the codebase. Continually improved code quality, and get bugs fixed and deployed.
- Worked on agile teams and love the process of continuous improvement.
- Contagious passion for our work is highly desirable!