Applicants are advised that relocation of our Washington, D.C. metropolitan area offices is in progress, from offices near the White House and in Herndon, Virginia, to Capitol Hill and Tysons, Virginia. Anticipated completion summer 2019.
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 62,000 pilots at 33 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks a Front-End Developer for our Herndon/Tysons, Virginia, office. The Front-End Developer is a creative problem solver who translates designs into engaging digital experiences. S/he will bridge the gap between graphic design and technical implementation, taking an active role in both defining how websites and applications look as well as how they function. S/he will work closely with design and technical staff through all stages of product creation and production, while exhibiting a strong knowledge of coding and UI/UX design. S/he codes and creates front-end elements of ALPA applications and websites to ensure seamless user experience across platforms.
S/he utilizes and ensures compliance with departmental and Association development, application, and data policies and procedures; collaborates with colleagues in other departments frequently; and, advises management regarding changes to standards and policies.
This position requires an excellent communicator who is highly organized and detail-oriented who consistently innovates while showing creativity and understanding the digital goals of the Association.
Interested applicants will be requested to submit online portfolio link(s) showing previous work.
Local and National Travel: 5 - 10%.
Minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
· Bachelor's degree in relevant area, e.g., Computer Science, IT, Web Applications, or related field, from an accredited college or university required; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
· Four (4) years of experience required, five (5) or more years strongly preferred. Additional applicable experience may be substituted for the academic requirement.
· Ability to use Google Analytics and performance metrics to influence development decisions.
· Able to work flexible schedule as needed.
· Knowledge of image editing tools, able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on images.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with all levels of contacts, internal and external.
· Must be a self-starter with professional maturity and sound judgement, capable of independent decision-making as well as team collaboration.
· Must possess exceptional time management skills; be able to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment; and, transition easily between projects.
· Ability to write documentation for internal use.
· Experience in end-user security administration helpful.
· Working knowledge of Intranet/Internet application development.
· Experience in or awareness of priorities of labor unions, professional associations, or advocacy organizations a plus.
· Software: Adobe CS, Jira, or other project management tools; Microsoft Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint requires.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position; move about the office; determine what others have said or written; and, converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and occasionally internationally). May also include occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
ALPA offers competitive salaries with excellent benefits, including:
· 26 days paid vacation and holidays per year;
· Generous sick and bereavement leave;
· Generous health care benefits – PPO, two HMO's (where available) and a High Deductible Health Plan which includes coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee, spouse, and/or dependent children;
· Company-paid premiums for disability and life insurance;
· $3 for $1 matching 401(k) retirement savings plan; Roth 401k;
· Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts; and
· Retiree health plan.
The Air Line Pilots Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Relocation Not Provided.
Sponsorship not available for this position.