Develop, define and lead implementation through study, method changes, and process improvements of methods and procedures in foundry to meet operational excellence goals and objectives. Additionally, this position will be responsible for designing and implementing methods for controlling manufacturing costs on equipment, analyzing data for reducing costs, provide specialized engineering services to all department centers and assisting departments in accomplishment of cost reduction goals as directed by Engineering Management.
- Evaluate manufacturing processes by applying knowledge of machine design, machine parameters, product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling and materials; conferring with vendors and soliciting observations from plant operators.
- Design, draw and model solutions which will include machine spec, fabrication etc. Develop work-scope.
- Work with outside vendors for design and solutions. Evaluate design and solutions to meet requirements. Maintain minutes of meeting (memo).
- Keep equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services, following manufacturer’s instructions and established procedures and requesting special services as needed.
- Develop critical part list for new equipment. Develop stocking plan for critical parts.
- Provide manufacturing decision making information through calculating production, labor and material costs, reviewing production schedules and estimating future requirements.
- Collect, analyze and summarize data, information and trends to prepare product and process reports. Maintain product and process data through identified computer programs.
- Improve manufacturing efficiency through analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements and equipment layout.
- Support engineering, manufacturing, and quality assurance by providing data and information and answering questions and providing solutions as requested.
- Implement new systems and procedures as designed. Implement and maintain molding parameters to successfully run the products.
- Assure product and process quality by designing testing methods, then testing finished product and process capabilities and establishing standards to confirm the manufacturing process and results.
- Root cause analysis for defects. Reduce scrap.
- Utilize FMEA, DFMEA and DOE’s to drive continuous improvement in foundry and engineering processes.
- Study product requirements and develop processes through researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment and conferring with equipment manufacturers.
- Develop and mentor staff and technicians and provide strong developmental support.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge through attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participation in related professional organizations.
- Direct efforts to meet and/or exceed compliance with all regulatory bodies, organizations and government requirements in the performance of position duties.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledge of automation and robotic applications preferred.
- Strong leadership, communications and interpersonal skills with ability to interact with all levels of employees, customers and outside professionals.
- Knowledge dealing with complex manufacturing situations, hardware specifications, quality standards, product development, CAD/CAM and technical specifications.
- Working experience of Cad and 3-D software to develop drawings and models.
- Strong working knowledge and experience in Lean manufacturing, Six Sigma tools.
- Outstanding PC/Systems knowledge and skills.
- Six to eight years’ experience in foundry environment involving lost foam and disa high speed molding operations. Melting, sand system and cleaning operations.
- Experience with capital projects scope development, justification and management. Project management (PMP) is plus.
- Experience with design and specification of foundry equipment.