Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We are a employee-held organization of 1,200 engineers, architects, and sustainability and support professionals collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
• On-site inspection/investigation including surveying and documenting observations, photographing, and sketching
• Researches historical background of diverse structures, technical issues, and code issues
• Organizes field data to facilitate analysis and problem solving
• Completes structural analysis and repair rehabilitation design of concrete, steel, wood, masonry, and other structural systems
• Maintains project records
• Masters Degree in civil or structural engineering or related discipline is required
• Three to five years of experience, preferably with existing buildings
• Field experience with diverse building types preferred
• Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills
• Excellent organization and project management skills
• Ability and willingness to travel within the US and internationally (average 20% of work time throughout the year)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability; individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate typical office equipment, as well as field equipment such as ladders.
Requirements may also include
• Ability to attend meetings at various office, field and construction sites
• Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
• Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 30 lbs.
• Ability to perform work in temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors and unconditioned spaces
• Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
• Ability and willingness to safely work at heights
• Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
• Ability and willingness to work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations, including confined spaces
• Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
• Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
We offer an excellent benefits package including medical and dental insurance, a matching 401(k) plan, and a friendly, collaborative work environment.