As Canada’s leading Meat Company, we are rapidly expanding to be one of North America’s largest suppliers of sustainably raised meat. And we are seeking a dynamic, experienced, hands on sales leader with an entrepreneurial spirit to oversee all sales activities for its business expansion into the foodservice market in the United States.
The USA Foodservice Sales Director will be responsible for overseeing sales activities to achieve maximum market penetration and growth in all foodservice channels, including the currently defined strategic areas of Regional chain accounts, Collages & Universities, Business & Industry. This also involves as on-site and GPO accounts, distribution, and field sales/broker accounts.
This role will entail both strategic and tactical activities including developing and implementing programs to maximize Maple Leaf’s short and long range sales growth objectives, hiring, managing and inspiring the US Foodservice sales team including an internal and external (brokers) sales organization.
This person is a hands on leader who can operate at the local/regional level and also take ownership of Corporate Accounts & Customers, manage and negotiate all senior level relationships & contracts: Distributors (Regional, national), Chain Restaurants (multi-regional, national), Contract Management (multi-regional, national, regional), GPOs; Manage Corporate DOT Foods Relationship; Identify and Manage Broker Relationships. This instrumental business leader will work in close collaboration with other functional leaders on the overall Maple Leaf team to drive top-line drive growth and gain overall market share in the US.
Most critically, the successful candidate will have a proactive approach to sales development – addressing day-to-day operating issues as well as providing strategic input. He/she will be involved in both personal account selling, as well as directing and managing a sales and broker team to achieve planned sales and profit growth goals.
Key to success will be to bring essential professional sales management skills to this role in areas such as: key account management, planning and forecasting, new product introduction plans, management and coordination of trade promotion programs, and an ability to drive significant distribution gains and sales growth across channels.
This position will be based in the Chicago area and report to Vice President & General Manager US and Multinational Business Teams – Retail & Foodservice.
This role is based out of a home office, all candidates will be considered in the USA.
- Develop business plans and strategies and cultivate high growth partnerships that lead to profitable growth
- Maximize sales volume and Gross Profit
- Leverage fact based analysis to manage the business. Establish measurements and goals for an ambitious go-to-market strategy, supported by a comprehensive, analytically grounded sales approach.
- Within a start-up mode environment, put in place business evaluation measures, using both quantitative and qualitative data, to assess business performance, competitive trends and new opportunities. Stay abreast of competitive actions, trends and emerging marketplace needs.
- Develop and manage annual sales forecast by customer, and provide Maple Leaf Foods leadership with regular updates on the results, challenge, opportunities and competitive actions.
- Lead development of channel specific trade promotion strategies, driving for efficiency of spend and manage overall tradebudget.
- Ensure company objectives and strategies are clearly communicated throughout the sales team and to customers.
- Create an operating culture where individuals are motivated, have clear direction, and opportunity for success and are regularly provided constructive assessment on performance.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS:
- Proven, senior level, success in sales leadership with respected food companies serving a large number of diverse customers, including direct key account & channel responsibility.
- Extensive contacts and relationships with key decision makers
- In-depth knowledge of, and experienceworking with, all customer segments of the United States foodservice channel including, chain accounts, on-site/contract management accounts, GPO’s, distributors, re-distributors, and buying groups
- A minimum of 15-20 years of senior level foodservice sales management experience
- Demonstrated success delivering aggressive sales goals, originating strategic initiatives and building efficient “best-of-class” selling organizations in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Experience in negotiating and managing effective, growth oriented trade programs that adhere to budgeted financial objectives.
- Ideally, experience in both large and small companies thereby possessing both an entrepreneurial spirit and a comfort level with process management that is typical in larger organizations
- Experience in and knowledge of the protein category is highly desirable but not mandatory
- A college degree is required with an MBA being desirable but not mandatory.
- Travel of 60%-75% is expected.
- A high energy, team oriented manager who has a passion for growing both the top and bottom lines. A person who leads by example and who instills confidence in his or her staff. Someone who enjoys rolling up his/her sleeves while working in a team-centric environment. An energetic yet mature individual with demonstrated leadership and business building skills and a track record of outstanding sales results.
- A thought leader, someone who has demonstrated success at combining creative and strategic initiatives with well-grounded practices designed to move product, brand and corporate initiatives forward. A creative, imaginative individual who has the business acumen, curiosity and ability to work across a diverse set of products and business interests, bringing rational focus to the efforts.
- A non-political, entrepreneurial team player who can quickly establish himself/herself as a trusted member of the overall US Sales & Marketing leadership team and be relied upon to get things done. Identifies closely with, and is passionately committed to, the achievement of the company’s overall mission.
- An effective, charismatic and influential leader with a high degree of drive, energy and the ability to consistently produce results. One who possess the experience and personality necessary to gain the respect of executives at all levels of an organization and with customer’s organizations.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, as well as the ability to sell ideas and concepts to various stakeholders, internal and external to the organization. Strong presentation skills in the full range from one-on-one to large audience settings.
Reference No.: 10546606