Provide oversite and manage key projects within the business unit (BU) as they relate to Food Safety. Participate in strategic corporate food safety initiatives in the evaluation and measurement of compliance against food safety programs. Partner with Quality Directors and Operations leadership as required in addressing risk mitigation and in defining comprehensive, proactive solutions. Function as a lead resource for the BU and partner to DFA’s food safety team. Manage and provide leadership to Quality Managers as a food safety specialist; serve as a direct coach to develop expertise for future food safety and quality leadership positions.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct targeted risk assessments at the direction of the Manufacturing Quality Director
- Provide oversite to key food safety programs such as food safety plan, HACCP, preventive controls, food defense, environmental monitoring & allergen management
- Aid in creation and maintenance of Food Safety KPI’s for the BU
- Partner with other internal food safety/quality groups in enterprise efforts for harmonization/standardization where necessary
- Oversee utilization and effectiveness of established food safety systems and drive continuous improvement of systems
- Partner with the Food Safety team and ensure corrective and preventive actions are effective and closed in an efficient and expedient manner
- Troubleshoot food safety and quality issues
- Collaborate with plants on issues identified with regulatory visits from entities such as the FDA, USDA, etc. Ensure all necessary action items are properly addressed and all relevant communications are properly handled
- Assist in the customer complaint closure process and in the Corrective and Preventive Actions (CAPA) closure process
- Identify trends and process variations in conjunction with the quality and operations teams; execute corrective actions to optimize the safety and quality of products
- Assist in training manufacturing plants on specific quality or food safety mitigation strategies, such as Pathogen Environmental Monitoring (PEM) swabbing, GMP’s, etc.
- The requirements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employee, but is not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Other duties may be assigned as required.
Travel and Work Location Requirements:
- This position requires 50% - 75% travel (up to 2 weeks per month).
- The ideal candidate will live in the Kansas City, KS area and work out of the DFA Corporate HQ office. Candidates who live near a DFA facility with access to a major airport will also be considered.
Education and Experience
- BS degree in food science or related science field required
- Master’s degree preferred
- 8+ years of experience in a food manufacturing facility
- 5+ years of food safety program application knowledge
- Leadership or management experience preferred
- Certification and/or License – ASQ Quality Engineer (CQE) or equivalent, SQF Practitioner, HACCP Certified, Preventive Controls Qualified Individual
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiar with general food safety principals, FDA, USDA, HACCP, pest control practices, GMP requirements, organic, kosher and allergen management principles
- Experience in dairy, cheese and spray drying
- Strong critical thinking ability along with analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication, coaching and conflict resolution skills
- Able to multi-task and work quickly while maintaining accuracy
- Able to organize time, energy, and resources effectively to achieve goals (i.e., organizational skills)
- Able to schedule and coordinate work assignments
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to elicit cooperation from variety of sources, including upper management, plant locations, and others
- Able to communicate effectively with plants and other relevant department entities to ensure all requests are met in a timely manner
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of and skill with Microsoft Office Suite and company computer systems, specifically with creating and using databases and spreadsheets
- Must be able to read, write and speak English