The Boeing Research & Technology (BR&T) Flow Control group is seeking a talented and motivated engineer to lead the development of models and analysis tools for the design and scaling of Active Flow Control technology for Boeing platforms. This includes both Active Flow Control systems and components as well as system and vehicle level effects of AFC such that these tools could be used in design trade studies. As such, the engineer will be expected to interface with experts in MDAO tools, models, and processes as well as applied mathematics in order to develop these tools and integrate them with existing Boeing tools. The candidate will be expected to report on their work in both written and oral formats. This position will be housed in St Louis, Missouri.
• Performs aerodynamic/aerothermodynamics design and analysis of flight vehicles to ensure that the vehicle meets requirements.
• Key contributor to developing new and improving existing technologies, tools and processes to enhance technology readiness, improve vehicle performance and reduce cycle time and cost.
• Conducts, coordinates and/or develops test requirements to meet test objectives using established processes.
• Assesses the impact of proposed regulations to determine the effect on cost, performance, producibility, maintainability and safety.
• Supports certification and qualification processes of the aerodynamic/ aero thermal characteristics of flight vehicles.
• Assists in training others. Works under general supervision.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Engineering Test and Tech
Relocation Assistance Available
Yes. Available for eligible candidates, if authorized.
This position requires the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
• A degree in Aerospace, Mechanical or similar engineering disciplines
• Experience in fluid mechanics, aerodynamics or air vehicle design/performance.
• Two years of experience in developing MDAO or similar models and wrapping analysis codes for design space exploration and optimization.
• Experience with Design of Experiments and statistical and analytical modeling both using linear and non-linear modeling tools.
• Experience and proficiency in Matlab.
• Demonstrated capability to work successfully on a multi-disciplinary team
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
• Experience with Active Flow Control technology, systems and applications is desired.
• Systems engineering experience is desired.
• Proficiency in various computer programming languages (e.g. Java, FORTRAN, and Python) is desired.
• Two years or more experience with surrogate modeling, higher-order analysis, and design under uncertainty is desired.
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's and 5 or more years' experience, Master's degree with 3 or more years' experience or PhD degree with experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.