Job Description & Requirements
The Fleet Maintenance Manager ensures that the Company’s vehicle maintenance programs are executed in an efficient, safe and economical manner by providing leadership, and coordinating and directing employee activities engaged in servicing and repairing equipment and vehicles assigned to the Company.
- Plans, directs, and monitors preventive maintenance and repair programs for all Company vehicles.
- Apprises General Manager and Region Fleet Maintenance Manager about fleet performance and costs. Makes presentations and prepares reports for the General Manager and Region Fleet Maintenance Manager as requested.
- Contributes and guides others to understanding and supporting our cost-conscious culture.
- Performs justification and life cycle cost analyses; performs trend analyses for various vehicle performance and maintenance issues and related expenses.
- Supports and contributes to the development and success of warranty and policy programs for recovery of expenses.
- Assists in the development and implementation of standard operating procedures for vehicle maintenance using known best practices.
- Assists in the direction of departmental activities in budget cycle requirements.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on scope of work and specifications for major procurements related to fleet maintenance.
- Directs compliance with or assists in the establishment of programs, policies, and procedures to attract, develop, and retain a competent and motivated workforce, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, performance management, counseling, grievances, and appeals.
- Assures timely and assertive responses to inspection findings, working closely with Company Safety and DOT compliance managers.
- Assists in the development and leadership of short-and-long-range planning activities covering all aspects of fleet maintenance operations.
- Ensures timely and accurate responses to General Manager and Region Fleet Maintenance Manager initiatives and directives.
- Follow all required work safe practices. This would include wearing of all required PPE in designated areas, confined space safety, safe chemical handling, fall restraints, etc.
- Ensures compliance with all Dean Corporate policies and procedures.
- Engages in the typical responsibilities of a manager requiring planning, evaluating, organizing, integrating, and controlling.
- Has management responsibility involving staffing, conducting performance appraisals, training and developing subordinates, promotions, salary increases, terminations, disciplinary actions, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to the completion of an Associate’s Degree or 60 semester units or equivalent in automotive technology.
- A minimum of 7 years of increasingly responsibleexperience in fleet maintenance of over-the-road and refrigerated transport equipment; with at least 3 years experience in the supervision and management of fleet operations.
- A valid Commercial Drivers License is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following: principles, methods and practices pertaining to the supervision of fleet maintenance and repair operations, including transportation refrigeration equipment; implementation of fleet operational goals, objectives, policies and procedures; tools, lubricants, equipment and procedures used in servicing, overhauling, repairing and adjusting a variety of power driven equipment and transportation refrigeration equipment; principles and methods used in the planning/coordination of an effective program for preventative maintenance; regulatory compliance with applicable federal, state and local guidelines (i.e., OSHA, DOT, HAZMAT, EPA, ANSI); recruiting, supervising, training and motivating fleet maintenance personnel; and adherence to workplace diversity and has track record of full compliance with EEO guidelines.
- Significant work experience in the following: accurate record keeping; research and cost reporting procedures; budgeting; inventory control and parts acquisition; use of automated equipment maintenance systems used in generating work orders, parts utilizationreports and labor productivity; managing multiple remote locations; successful negotiation and on-going management of contract fleet maintenance agreements and outside vendors (i.e., body shops); performing audits of vehicle maintenance and safety by performing hands-on vehicle and record inspections.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Skill in organization, time management, prioritization, and attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs.
- Strong team player who is able to work across multiple functions and disciplines.
- Must be able to pass all medical exams, drug and background checks (including criminal).
- Travel requirement: up to 20% (to observe and audit vehicle performance and maintenance in remote locations).
- Must be able to pass all pre-employment screens (including drug, background and criminal checks).
Requisition ID 2018-6539