The Fitness Director is a multi-unit leader that oversees all aspects of the fitness business including sales, retention and active client penetration for personal and small group training. The ability to prioritize, drive results through others and a strong focus on team development is key to achieving results in this role. The Fitness Director works hand in hand with the fitness team and other members of the club team to achieve key metrics in the fitness business.
This role achieves success through embodying our core competencies (Create the TSI Environment, Build a High Performing Team, Achieve Measurable Results).
Create the TSI Environment
Models the core attributes of a successful employee with the utmost integrity, lives the mission and empowers others to do the same; focused on building meaningful relationships with members, their kids and team members.
- Modeling and promoting the Clubhouse Rules.
- Being available to team members to address questions and concerns.
- Working through fitness and club team to ensure that fitness programs are delivered with a high level of customer service.
- Creating a strong sense of team by fostering collaboration, communication and alignment amongst team members in all clubs under supervision.
- Actively listening to member and employee concerns, addressing issues before they become problems.
- Adhering to all TSI policies and procedures including, but not limited to timeliness, codes of conduct, uniforms and timekeeping. Setting expectations around the same for team members.
Build a High Performing Team
Actively facilitates self and team member development; constantly seeking new ways to build skills and competency; elevates the brand experience.
- Creating an environment where employees thrive and look forward to coming to work.
- Guiding the sourcing, recruiting and onboarding process for qualified personal trainers and fitness leaders. Assisting in the process as needed.
- Delivering relevant and effective coaching, training, feedback and performance management directly to team members and guiding the process in clubs as needed.
- Overseeing other fitness leader's management of team members and partnering as necessary to provide coaching and development.
- Creating robust development plans for fitness team members who want to take on stretch assignments or progress to another role.
- Analyzing client and member feedback to determine improvements in fitness programming and services and working with club teams to create action plans to address.
- Directly interacting with clients to obtain, assess and address information on member needs, expectations and levels of satisfaction.
- Responding to member inquiries in a timely manner with a particular emphasis on fitness services.
- Staying abreast of current trends in personal training and fitness and making recommendations in personal training methodology, small group programming and equipment.
- Working with club teams to ensure that fitness equipment is working order and escalating any issues to appropriate parties.
Achieve Measurable Results
Meets and exceeds company goals and metrics surrounding employees and members; never satisfied with the status quo.
- Hitting all key metrics in fitness sales, revenue, active client penetration and retention across clubs of oversight in personal and small group training.
- Conducting "root cause" analysis to identify underlying fitness sales process gaps and issues that are impacting fitness sales and developing action plans to improve performance.
- Conducting purposeful and focused club site visits to assess state of the fitness business and to create relevant action plans to address.
- Reviewing and analyzing fitness reporting daily to ensure that clubs are on track to meet fitness sales, revenue and retention goals. Ensuring all clubs under supervision of a critical understanding of how to use tools to manage the business.
- Setting daily, weekly and monthly fitness sales, revenue and retention goals and creating action plans to achieve targets.
- Working with fitness and club teams to proactively address client cancellation and retention issues.
- Creating partnership with club team at all levels and other regional leaders to ensure fitness products and services are aligned and consistent with the company's overall fitness strategy.
- Administering scheduling and bi-weekly payroll for direct reports and oversee such administration by other club managers.
Required Skills and Experience
- BA/ BS degree.
- At least five years of multi-unit management experience in a fitness environment with experience in driving fitness sales.
- At least 1 year of personal training experience.
- Proven experience driving fitness sales and revenue growth in a large club or sales focused organization.
- Demonstrated competence in driving fitness business growth through others.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully build and develop relationships cross-functionally.
- Effective communication skills and a track record of influencing change across an organization.
- Proven ability to identify gaps through sales trends and nimbly adjust strategy to drive sales growth.