Supports the Product Development (PD) Core Process Objective. Supervises, develops, maintains, and improves technical resources for the development and analysis of irrigation controls and related products. Generates project teams, formulates development programs, procedures, data formats and documents, and design teams’ project results. Develops necessary resources and technologies to support R&D long-term needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives work direction from Director of Technical Operations or other designated leader.
- Manages the electronic development operations as a core competency and a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
- Manages the work of a team of electronic engineers in the area of electronic/ control systems to create designs to satisfy project objectives and creates new designs for new products.
- Plans, schedules, and implements projects to meet specified completion dates, cost targets, and performance objectives.
- Provides support to sustaining engineering activities. Makes disposition decisions on parts that deviate from the print through the Material Review Board process and follows up on resulting specification or tooling changes.
- Supports/Participates in cross-functional product development team process as assigned.
- Is responsible for control of expenditures for projects assigned and group budget.
- Prepares or modifies detailed and accurate electronic specifications from marketing and management concepts. Ensures that all specifications are adequate to meet all quality standards.
- Carries out R&D to maintain long-term competitive advantage.
- Ability to organize and direct work of others and to work with other departments in pursuit of assigned task completion.
- May require the ability to work with personal computers including a working knowledge of the hardware and software systems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor of Science in Electronic Engineering is required; higher degree preferred.
- 8+ years leadership role with design engineer experience including electronic control design, embedded electronic design and software/firmware development.
- Experience in the design and use of connected embedded products.
- Knowledge of electronic manufacturing practices.
- Knowledge of engineering components, materials, and functions.
- Ability to use measuring instruments.
- Knowledge of ECAD, PCB layout, circuit schematics, etc.
- Experience with Kiel, IAR or other embedded development environments.
- Skilled with development C++ with and without an RTOS.
- Knowledge of appropriate electronic design and manufacturing standards.
- Ability to use a computer with engineering-related software.
- Ability to visualize software and hardware design concepts.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to solve complex engineering problems.