$100K — $150K *
About Blue Cross
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is one of the most recognized and trusted health care brands in the world with 2.9 million members. We’re committed to reinventing health care to improve health for our members and the community. We hope you'll join us.
The Principal Firewall Engineer is the highest level in the Engineer and may be assigned to function as an expert or project leader. When assigned as an expert, performs work requiring a very high level of technical knowledge of a specific area or ability to integrate at a high level the knowledge of several areas when assigned as a project leader, manages and provides technical leadership of projects involving large-scale, complex and highly analytical tasks. Work is performed within a broad framework of general policy and requires creativity and resourcefulness to accomplish goals and objectives, and in applying concepts, plans and strategies which may deviate from traditional methods and practices. May serves as or work with a lead technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems or networks.
1. Reviews, advises and designs standard software and hardware solution builds, system options, risks, costs versus benefits and impact on the enterprise business process and goals.
2. Develops and documents the framework for integration and implementation for changes to technical standards.
3. Assists in the development of and manages an architecture governance process
4. Develops highly complex infrastructure interactions to ensure the security, stability, recoverability, and access to systems and information.
5. Advises on enterprise-wide infrastructure systems growth requirements, capabilities, and constraints to ensure the long-term functionality and operation standards.
6. Determines strategy for vendor solution evaluation and selection and oversees/evaluates the work of contractor and vendors to ensure quality services
7. Leads cross-functional teams on the development and implementation of enterprise-wide major installations, upgrades and process changes. With accountability for project execution and resource allocation.
8. Facilitates knowledge sharing by creating and maintaining detailed, comprehensive documentation and diagrams.
9. Provides technical guidance to project team areas as appropriate.
10. Tracks industry trends and maintains knowledge of new technologies to better serve the enterprise architecture needs.
11. Participates in an on-call rotation for support of systems outside of normal business hours.
1. Bachelor’s degree preferably in Computer Science with 7 years of experience in IT relating to telephony or 11 years of experience in IT relating to telephony in lieu of a degree
2. Expert level ability to apply infrastructure lifecycle knowledge to the execution oversight of large complex projects
3. Expert level knowledge of infrastructure system design and integration
4. Expert level technical, business, and industry knowledge
5. Excellent oral/written communication and presentation skills
6. Exceptional human relations skills to effectively interact with executive management, peers, business partners, and vendors
7. Highly skilled at systems, creative, critical and analytical thinking, decision making and problem solving
8. Highly skilled at influencing and motivating individuals and teams
9. Highly skilled at hands on communication and collaboration
10. Proven track record in partnering with project managers, vendors, project business owners to successfully deliver large complex projects
11. Communicate professionally and respectful both in written and verbal form
TECHICAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Oversee the Firewall environment and firewall policy management with log files
2. Work with information Security and the Network team to perform firewall processes
3. Collaborate with network engineers to design of the Next Generation firewall environment
4. Work with information Security to ensure efficient policy implementations
5. Identify, design and implement flexible, responsive, and secure technology services
6. Research and evaluate infrastructure strategies, hardware/software, security and networking products
7. Advise management of options, risk vs. cost, benefits and other impacts of infrastructure solutions
8. Set technical standards for network infrastructure, security baselines, policies and procedures
9. Educate and mentor IT support staff as needed, including requisite training on technology and governance
10. Engage in complex production impacting technical issues and work to troubleshoot and restore service
11. Produces Platform reports and other periodic analyses and systems metrics
12. Prepares various analysis/ad hoc projects
13. Minimum 7 years working experience with Firewalls (Cisco, Fortinet), and Routing, TCP/IP, OSPF, BGP, Cisco, F5 Load Balancing, VPN Remote Access and IDS/IPS devices in an engineering capacity
14. Minimum 7 years working experience with a broad range of hardware, networking and security solutions
15. Provides complex technical support, responds to complex work orders and tickets from the users, analyzes and solves complex reported network problems
16. Understands the configuration of firewall security settings to access permissions groups for individuals and sets up provisions for incoming data
Make a difference
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross. Be part of a company that lets you be you — and make a healthy difference in people’s lives every day
Blue Cross is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® of Minnesota and Blue Plus® are nonprofit independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Valid through: 12/1/2020