We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
Fire Protection Engineer
HDR’s Fire & Life Safety (FLS) team is continuing to expand our market sector expertise across HDR’s client base, including Civic (eg: high-rises, auditoriums/arenas, detention, recreational), Federal (DoD, NASA, VA, NPS, GSA), Healthcare, Resources (hazardous materials, power, hydropower, waste, oil/gas/LNG, mining, industrial, fuels, material handling), Science/Tech/Labs, Transportation (aviation, rail, roads/bridges, marine, public transit), and Water (water/waste/storm treatment).
Due to that growth and we are seeking a highly motivated Fire Protection Engineer to join our multi-discipline A/E design and engineering team. This position reports directly to, and works closely with, the West, Central, and East Region Fire & Life Safety Leads and will serve in a consultant role to our internal project teams as well as external Clients.
As a member of our FLS team, successful candidates will be tasked with executing production. You will also have a key role in providing leadership in continually evolving and delivering our fire & life safety design services which includes: active and passive fire and life safety systems, code consulting, life safety and egress evaluations, performance based design, fire/smoke/egress modeling, inspection and plan review, hazard and risk analysis, emergency management and planning, structural fire protection, fire root cause analysis, and accessibility consulting.
If you are self-motivated, goal and detail oriented, take pride and responsibility for your work, and want to advance your career in FLS within a leading A/E Firm that appreciates you and your ambitions, look no further.
Success in this role will require the ability to:
- Know your strengths, foster relationships, and be a proactive communicator.
- Share our desire to grow our FLS team nationally.
- Collaborate in a Team environment with a positive and helpful attitude.
- Be highly motivated, constantly seek improvement in how we do things, and be willing to take on new challenges.
- Be able to manage multiple projects immediately, including developing proposals, project planning, staffing, and successful delivery of projects both through independent work and engaging other FLS teammates.
- Cultivate good working relationships with project managers, project teams, FLS teammates, and other clients as we grow our team.
- Effectively network with other fire and life safety industry professionals.
Duties and Skills:
- Fire protection engineering and code consulting efforts; you will be responsible as engineer of record for many projects across the country.
- Performing analysis of existing fire protection systems, as well as designing new fire protection systems including suppression systems, fire detection, alarm and mass notification systems
- Providing consulting for life safety, building, and fire code compliance.
- Develop thorough and clear Design Analysis, Summary of Code Requirements and Life Safety Plans, and accurate Reports.
- Planning and design details including engineering concepts, distribution plans, riser diagrams, detail drawings, schedules, specifications, design analysis, engineering reports, etc.
- Occasional on-site project observations and reviews; duties required to fulfill contractual obligations for construction phase services; overseeing other personnel assigned to this responsibility.
- Managing day-to-day contacts with internal and external clients while utilizing experience and technology to meet expectations
- Experience in designing fire sprinkler, suppression, and fire alarm systems layouts utilizing hydraulic calculation programs, and knowledge of NFPA Codes, and International Building and Fire Codes is required.
- 6+ years of technical experience in a technical fire protection design or consulting role involving fire protection systems.
- Fire Protection Engineering PE registration is required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Fire Protection Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Mechanical, Electrical or related engineering fields is preferred.
- Approximately 10-20% travel may be required.