Coffman Engineers has been making a positive impact in the communities where we work for over 42 years. Our unique cultural balance of challenging projects and lively staff engagement has set us apart as a leading multi-discipline consulting engineering firm across the US. The Raleigh office is growing and we’re looking for a Fire Protection Engineer with at least five years of experience who is passionate about their and looking for an environment that promotes professional growth.
The successful individual will have professional experience in providing consulting to clients in various aspects of fire protection engineering. Technical skills will include, but not limited to: automatic suppression system design and analysis; fire detection, alarm and communication system design and analysis; fire and life safety code analysis; egress analysis; fire resistant rated construction analysis; smoke control design and special inspections; as well as general fire protection and life safety concepts.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited college or university in Fire Protection Engineering, Fire Sciences, or related engineering field
- NICET level III / IV, EIT, or PE
- Minimum five years of experience in the fire protection engineering/consulting profession
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including oral presentation skills
- Ability to work on a high-functioning team
Desired Skills and Duties:
- Possess intermediate level computer skills necessary for daily activities, including email, word processing, spreadsheets, simple graphics, CONTAM, fire dynamic simulation, and a working knowledge of computer aided drafting
- Manage day-to-day contacts with internal and external clients utilizing experience and technology to meet expectations
- Attend and participate in local and national professional organizations, such as SFPE and NFPA
- Experience of interest in alternative energy fire protection including protection of battery energy storage
- Perform building and fire code analysis and code interpretations
- Develop engineering judgement for code alternatives
- Provide peer reviews of colleagues’ work product
- Have or be developing an “area of expertise” within fire protection engineering
- Design new fire protection systems including suppression systems, fire detection, alarm and communication systems. Perform analysis of existing fire protection systems
- Possess project management skills for managing internal projects as well as external client needs.