Our East Coast Team is growing looking to add a manager to the team. Locations including: Boston, MA, Hartford, CT, New York, NY, Secaucus, NJ, Philadelphia, PA, Baltimore, MD or Washington, DC
What you will do
The primary role of the Design Team Manager is to oversee the design team for Johnson Controls Fire Protection projects. Acting as a design lead on large complex multi-faceted projects and directing other members of the design team supporting these projects
How you will do it
- Responsible for design effort and deliverables of fire alarm systems (and to a lesser extent security, nurse call, and other electronic systems) across multiple business locations.
- Recruits, evaluates, and makes hiring decisions for the Design team to ensure appropriate mix of Project System Specialists and CAD Support Technicians.
- Manages medium to large sized team of Design employees across multiple locations.
- Directs a team of specialist design employees that manage core/non-core product work as may be required.
- Assesses training needs, creates and maintains development plan for Design team employees.
- Evaluates employee performance and creates assessments of direct reports based on KPI's and established goals.
- Manages design team cost structure by leveraging skills of design team members to match project tasks and complexity.
- Allocates workload to CAD Support Technicians and Project Design Specialists.
- Attends pre/post design meetings with Account Managers, Projects Team, and customers, as required.
- Provides management of Project System Specialists and/or CAD Support Technicians, ensuring team members perform to meet the business needs and our required standards.
- Supports the Project Managers and liaises with clients and/or consultants on design issues.
- Performs all aspects of project design work for projects within the business, as required.
- Determines, agrees, and implements best practice measures for the Design team in line with the needs of the company and our clients.
- Ensures all project deliverables are compliant with code requirements and Johnson Controls standards.
- Maintains, organizes, and plans local team workload, tracks productivity and supports national team as required.
- Reviews, comments, and approves the technical conformity of specifications produced by others.
- Performs quality checks for team members; highlights design changes and provides feedback to the design team member.
- Reviews detailed designs to provide value engineered solutions, as required. Produces fully detailed specifications and technical submissions with complete detailed schematics & drawings to meet with design criteria.
- Provides feedback to local operation of material and design changes impacting cost and scope.
What we look for
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in design of Fire Systems and Security Systems is a plus.
- Experience in Fire Alarm, Security, Nurse Call, CCTV and/or Construction Industry.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team.
- Proficient in reading and understanding architectural and electrical diagrams
- Knowledge of multiple electronic building systems.
- Advanced understanding of mechanical systems and their interface to fire alarm systems.
- Fundamental understanding of Microsoft Office Suite including, Excel, Access, Word, Outlook, Adobe
- Effective written and oral communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical preferred, Or equivalent field experience.
- Nicet Level II or above.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.