Robinhood is democratizing access to America’s financial system. Our platform offers commission-free investing in U.S. stocks, ETFs, options, and cryptocurrencies. Robinhood Financial, our broker-dealer, is the fastest-growing brokerage ever, with over four million users and billions of dollars in transaction volume. Robinhood has received the Apple Design Award, the Google Material Design Award, and named Fast Company’s 11th Most Innovative Company in the World.
We’re backed with $176 million in capital from top-tier investors such as DST Global, NEA, Index Ventures, and Thrive Capital, and valued at $1.3 billion. Robinhood is headquartered in Palo Alto, California with a regional office in Lake Mary, Florida.
About the Role
Robinhood’s legal department is looking for an attorney with legal experience in a financial services context who is excited to work at the intersection of technology and finance. Your advice and creativity will help shape the legal, product, and technology strategy for one of the fastest-growing fintech companies.
Joining our small legal team requires an autodidactic mindset as you tackle legal problems from a variety of legal disciplines: securities law, financial services regulation, contract law, immigration, IP, employment, etc.
As a FinTech In-House Counsel you'll:
- Navigate complex regulatory frameworks to design innovative financial products and services
- Solve legal challenges in collaboration with multiple internal teams: Compliance, Business Development, Product, Data Science, DevOps, Engineering, Marketing, Public Relations, Customer Service, and People Operations
- Counsel the executive team on legal risk and strategy considerations
- Drive tactics and strategy in interacting with regulatory bodies
- Draft and negotiate a wide array of custom and standardized commercial contracts and agreements
- Build processes to improve the company’s operating efficiency and mitigate legal risk
- Research a range of novel legal questions and distill findings to advise internal stakeholders
Some things we consider critical to being our FinTech In-House Counsel:
- Member of a US State Bar
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- 3+ years of work experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Keen attention to detail and organization
- Strong project management and analytical skills
- Expertise in researching, applying, and communicating legal requirements in the financial services space in either a regulatory, commercial, or adversarial context
- Fluency in a variety of legal domains outside of your primary practice area
- Ability to learn new software and cloud-based tools as needed (e.g. Carta, Docusign, Dropbox, Git, Google apps)
- 4-12years of work experience
- At least one of the following work experiences:
- Top law firms or state or federal clerkships
- Financial regulator at the state or federal level
- Prominent legal groups within federal, state, or local government
- In-house legal departments for publicly-traded financial services or technology companies
- In-house legal department for startups at the Series B+ or unicorn stage
- Degree from a top law school, recognized academic achievement in law school, or law review experience
- Expertise in negotiating commercial contracts related to financial services
- Expertise litigating for or against companies providing financial services
- Expertise in AML regulations and compliance
- Expertise in financial regulatory licensing processes
- Expertise in navigating financial regulatory audit/examination processes
- Eager to learn about new and emerging technologies
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Robinhood does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Robinhood prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Robinhood is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company's gift to Robinhood and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.