Position Summary InformationJob Description Summary
Reporting to the Associate Director of Budget Planning & Systems the Financial Systems Analyst is responsible for supporting the University Budget Office by building financial models, overseeing database management, analyzing operations, creating and managing reports.
Tasked with developing complex models, working within the web-based strategic planning model, overseeing databases, designing reports by leveraging existing ERP and database tools to provide clear actionable reporting. The successful candidate will have extensive experience with financial modeling, database maintenance, strong data analysis skills, advanced Excel skills, and exhibit strong, creative, problem-solving skills, and collaborative abilities. This position requires proficiency in data analysis, extensive knowledge of ERP systems and databases as well as having a strong analytics aptitude and the ease/ability to communicate with operating managers.
Collaborates with colleagues and outside consultants to enhance the state-of-the-art university strategic planning model by becoming an expert user, developing various reports used for analysis and decision making, improving upload and download capabilities, building new fields and programs, learning and writing formulas, and troubleshooting problems.
Responsible for building, loading and maintaining various budgetdatabases including building reports, and layouts, troubleshootingdatabase errors and proactively seeking ways to enhance the databases for efficiency and ease of use.
Serves as a functional lead within the Budget Office to translate business requirements into technical requirements for development, testing and troubleshooting. Ensure that application programs are tested and regular quality assurances are conducted. Serves as functional expert for Financial systems and is the technical liaison between the Budget Office and IS&T resources. Facilitates continuous business process improvement by identifying and implementing system efficiencies. Lead user acceptance testing, develops test cases from analyzing business and system requirements and conducts test execution. Proactively reviews system security to identify gaps and collaboration with IS&T to ensure appropriate user access. Create ad hoc reports using PeopleSoft Query Manager or other reporting tools. Respond to user requests for application support and troubleshoots system problems.
• Perform analysis of databases, models, reports and queries
• Design, develop, build and maintain models, databases, queries and reports
• Develop customized analytical reports and queries to meet requests of management and operating units
• Conduct in depth quality control review on chart of account updates and updates to the financial system, reports, queries and databases
• Collaborate with colleagues to identify efficiencies and automate existing processes
• Assist with due diligence and model testing of potential acquisitions providing critical analytics and insights to decision makers
• Develop test scripts and conduct both unit and integration tests
• Assist with user testing and training including preparation of documentation and communications
• Work as a liaison between business partners and system developers with responsibility for documenting detailed business requirements and system specifications
• Support ad-hoc data analysis and modeling requests
• Update and monitor project tasks and plans with the project managers and management team
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in a related discipline
• 10 + years’ experience in an analytical capacity building high value financial models, databases and reporting
• 7-10 years’ experiencesupporting finance
• High degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, including building and modifying complex pivot tables and macros for reporting and dashboards
• Experience with building functional, data driven dashboards for real-time forecasting
• Experience in aggregating and integrating data points for functional analysis within dashboards
• Strong analytical skills, with experience developing financial models and analysis
• Proficiency in relational databases and related database tools
• Detail oriented with strong quantitative skills and strong knowledge of financial modeling, analysis and reporting techniques
• Must have proven ability to develop and maintain dashboard reports for business units along with key metrics and savings capacities
• Highly motivated, self-starter who manages projects end-to-end and has a demonstrated track record of getting results, organizing and prioritizing deadlines
• Commitment to work in a team-based environment and acceptance of multi-directional feedback
• Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement and solve problems while collaborating with stakeholders on their needs
• Ability to multi-task, which requires strong organizational skills, attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
• Possess excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and have a process improvement oriented mindset
• Ability to manage competing priorities in a professional manner
• Results-oriented individual with the ability to adapt to a frequently changing environment
• Ability to maintain a high level of privacy and confidentiality, and to consistently demonstrate a professional and diplomatic manner
• Ability to maintain calm, professional demeanor under deadlines, pressure and/or critical, urgent priorities
• MSdegree in Management Information Systems, Economics, Finance, Accounting or Business, MBA, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Higher Education work experience
• FileMaker Pro experience
• Familiarity with object oriented modeling and/or programming concepts is preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants for Staff and Administrator positions must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Chapman University does not sponsor applicants for Staff and Administrator positions for work visas.
The offer of employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion and outcomes of a criminal background screening, credit check, and returning to the Office of Human Resources a signed original acceptance of the Chapman University Agreement to Arbitrate.