Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This position is responsible for providing technical financial expertise for making risk recommendations to Individual and Group DBS and Directors in order to ensure that the Company’s benefit payments are as accurate as possible in accordance with specific policy language.Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtains and evaluates financial data needed to make financial risk recommendations to Individual and Group DBS’s and Directors.
- Provides technical advice to DBS’s regarding benefits to be paid as well as future benefits.
- Identifies and calculates over/underpayments to be addressed by the DBS.
- Provides timely support to DBS’s via formal file referrals, rounds, or open-door visits.
- Analyzes multi-period financial data from insureds (tax returns, P & Ls, general ledgers, etc.) in order to determine prior and current income levels.
- Mentor and trains DBS’s on daily basis to increase their financial risk assessment skills.
- Contact and work with insureds/attorneys/CPAs other representative as requested by DBS’s to assist in resolution of financial matter disputes with claimants.
- Assist with development, implementation and monitoring of sound financial assessment guidelines, processes, and procedures and tools to increase the accuracy of calculations by the DBS’s and to improve the overall process.
- May perform other duties as assigned
- BS degree in accounting/finance or equivalent
- CPA or other acceptable professional certification (CFE, CIA, etc.) designation preferred
- Five to seven years of relevant tax preparation experience or three years of disability insurance experience
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral are essential in order for this position to effectively interact with the broad array of contacts that it must support.
- Customer orientation and focus and desire to provide excellence in customer service are critical.