Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a business-oriented Manager, FP&A. Reporting to the Director, FP&A you will manage the day-to-day Financial Planning for the organization. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
Manage Budgeting/Forecasting and Financial/Performance Reporting, and Engage in Strategic Planning
- Support updates to the VO strategic plan and carry the strategy forward into the annual budgeting and planning process (Sales Planning, Cash Planning, Workload planning, Inventory Planning, Cost Initiative Planning)
- Support the development and implementation of a comprehensive annual business plan and quarterly forecast process, which is aligned with the company’s strategic direction. Think creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new business plans.
- Oversee long term planning model. Work directly with Director, FP&A and company leadership in model updates, assumption changes, alternative scenarios/what-if analysis, etc.
- Support the budgeting/forecasting process by coordinating ground rules and assumptions with key stakeholders, communicate timeline and process with budget owners, and prepare package for leadership
- Oversee monthly departmental and project variance analysis. Provide analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and opportunities for engineering/production/manufacturing activities.
- Maintain, coordinate, and communicate financial risks and opportunities with stakeholders
- Prepare monthly financial reporting packages for management, investors and Board of Directors. Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
- Develop and support achievement of performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Manage and maintain financial planning systems, including updates and implementation as needed
- Review, develop and implement improvements to systems, controls, policies and procedures.
- Communicate financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
- Maintain and create complex financial models in support of budgeting, planning and reporting requirements
- Collaborate with accounting, manufacturing and supply chain on inventory management and planning/purchasing activities
- Lead meetings and communicate with the budget owners, senior management and others, understanding the priorities and strategic focus. Understand and meet the needs of key stakeholders (department heads, Board, investors, corporate, etc.).
- Continually seek opportunities to improve our performance by establishing objectives and targets, measuring progress, and reporting our results.
- Analyze financial data and market trends
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field and a minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience
- Experience in aerospace, advanced manufacturing or related industries preferred
- Advanced understanding of financial modelling techniques and concepts, including discounted cash flows, valuation methodologies, sensitivity analysis, key drivers and metrics, etc.
- Proven experience managing finance functions, department and staff
- Strong ability to communicate strategic goals, the focus and priorities to team members in a clear and precise manner
- Experience partnering and communicating with teammates across the organization
- Strong, hands-on background in finance and accounting
- Solid knowledge of accounting principles (GAAP)
- Experience with project accounting
- Process development and improvement experience
- Solid technical skills; implementation experience preferred
- Proficient Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced Excel skills
- ERP experience (Oracle preferred)
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving and organization skills
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Effective time management and ability to meet deadlines
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Desire to prioritize employee development
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to communicate with professionals at all levels
- Able to communicate complex information to a variety of audiences
- Able to manage competing priorities with accuracy and efficiency
- Able to adapt to changing priorities; sense of urgency
- Able to work cross-functionally with ease
- Detail, deadline and goal-oriented
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space