Do you want a career with a company that makes a difference every day?
Boys Town is a highly respected, 100 year old non-profit organization that is nationally recognized for its research-proven child, health and family care programs. As one of the country’s largest nonprofit funded child-care organizations, Boys Town touches the lives of more than 2 million children and families nationwide each year.
The Controller directs accounting functions, including financial planning and analysis, financial operating measurement and reporting, accounting functions, business functions, tax reporting, treasury, purchasing, and budget management of the organization, including ensuring regulatory compliance. This position participates with management in matters regarding preservation of capital and assets, and plans, organizes, and oversees policy making and budgeting.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
- Oversees financial planning, treasury management, debt financing, purchasing, and budget management functions and ensures accounting procedures and reporting conform to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Directs area work flow operations; establishes priorities and monitors progress of business and accounting staff responsible for operations, reporting, and account reconciliation.
- Manages cash and operational forecasting and budgeting processes, including budget review and completion; reviews prior year budgetary transactions and forecasts any changes; prepares budgets for approval.
- Maximizes return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems; participates in the development and implementation of corporate accounting and business policies.
- Implements internal controls to protect company assets from misuse, abuse, or loss.
- Manages financial transactions, ensures the integrity of information in the financial system, and reconciles internal and external accounts to the accounting records.
- Provides accurate and timely information to executive management to assist in decision making.
- Complies with federal, state, and local regulatory and reporting requirements by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares annual reports of budgetary expenditures.
- Leads and coordinates financial planning, debt financing, and budget management functions; ensures procedures conform to GAAP.
- Completes, or ensures the timely completion of, financial reporting, record keeping, exempt tax returns, and auditing examinations.
- Directs, and evaluates accounting personnel; manages the accuracy and productivity of accounts payable, cash disbursements, purchasing, invoicing, billing, credits, collections, payroll, fixed asset records, general and entity accounting, and cost accounting.
- Serves as a role model in carrying out the Father Flanagan's Boys' Home mission.
- Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in order to meet the needs of the organization
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive financial background with technical skills in budgetary management, and knowledge of fiscal and strategic planning for financial, and administrative functions of a large not-for-profit organization, or other complex industry position.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and evaluate organization wide initiatives and ability to accurately compile reports and budgets and to execute projects.
- Ability to read and interpret IRS rules, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) technical literature, and Financial Accounting Standards Boards (FASB) interpretations.
- Extensive knowledge of State and Federal financial reporting requirements and operations.
- Must have a working knowledge on business software packages and information technology platforms.
- Maintains knowledge of tax code, reporting practices, and accounting procedures.
- Ability to adhere to the highest standards of confidentiality.
- Strong accounting, communication, organizational, and leadership skills.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or equivalent.
- 10 to 12 years of progressive management and supervisory experience in advanced accounting, reporting, and taxation. Specialization experience in not-for-profit accounting is preferred.
- Travel as needed.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSURES, AND LANGUAGE SKILLS:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA), or Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND EQUIPMENT USAGE:
Position requires little to moderate physical activity. Mostly sedentary work exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. No significant stooping is usually required.
Work is typically in a normal office administrative environment involving minimal exposure to physical risks.