Founded in 1966, Heitman LLC is a global real estate investment management firm with over $44 billion in assets under management. Heitman’s real estate investment strategies include direct investments in the equity or debt capitalization of a property or in the securities of listed and publicly traded real estate companies. Heitman serves a global client base with clients from North American, European, Middle Eastern and Asia-Pacific institutions, pension plans, foundations and corporations and individual investors. Headquartered in Chicago, with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, Heitman’s more than 325 employees offer specialized expertise – from a specific discipline to local insight.
Our Chicago office is seeking a Finance Manager for our Financial Operations & Analysis (FOA) group. The Finance Manager will lead a team in delivering accounting, finance, and valuation support within the Heitman organization. The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator with a history of effectively leading and developing professional staff. They will also be a self-starter, who is highly collaborative, analytical and has a strong interest in Real Estate.
The responsibilities of a Finance Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Review, analyze and interpret accounting records, financial statements, footnotes or other financial reports to assess accuracy and completeness
- Lead in review and approval of complex accounting transactions including acquisitions, dispositions, and waterfall calculations
- Lead in coordination, preparation and analysis of quarterly property and debt valuations, collaborating with Portfolio & Asset Management, Research, and Acquisition teams throughout the process.
- Analyze Argus, IRR’s and returns and discuss key insights with the Asset and Portfolio Manager(s)
- Liase with asset manager(s), fund administration firm, clients and JV partners
- Review of monthly, quarterly and annual reports for investors, consultants and other partners including understanding financial information, performance returns and leasing
- Review documents to ensure compliance with Investment, Joint Venture, Property Management, and Fund Administration agreements
- Participate in adhoc projects, including due diligence review of real estate acquisitions and dispositions, leasehold analysis, and consultant/client questionnaires or other projects to assist Portfolio Management in improving investor value and client service.
- Supervise, train and mentor a team of professionals
- Drive year-end audit process and address audit questions/requests
- Advise management about issues such as resource utilization, tax strategies, and the assumptions underlying budget forecasts
- Monitor and build fund/account efficiencies and ensure implementation of improvements, including the development of tech-enabled tools.
- Exhibit ability to perform multiple projects, navigate through unexpected challenges, and bring about viable solutions that provide the best results
- Minimum of 6 years of financial, accounting, or real estate experience
- High-performing accounting, real estate, and/or finance graduate
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced and dynamic team environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage requests from multiple business partners under tight deadlines
- Strong communicator with strong writing skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with professionals at all levels
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with high attention to detail
- Well-organized, detail oriented and deadline driven
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office package including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Supervisory experience directly or indirectly
- Experience in Argus and/or PowerBI Yardi software is a plus