The Finance Director position is distinguished by the level of accountability to internal and external clients, the broad level of technical expertise required, and the leadership assumed. Colleagues at this level are responsible for overseeing the completion of accounting and financial activities for risk pool clients, and for ensuring the overall timeliness and satisfaction of such services. The Finance Director takes direction from the Vice President, Pooling Finance and is responsible for ensuring that such direction is fulfilled in a timely and satisfactory manner.
The Finance Director must be able to communicate effectively with all levels of management and preserve confidentiality of sensitive information. The Finance Director exercises independent judgment and provides direct supervision of the work assigned to Senior and Staff Accountants, and provides technical assistance, oversight, coaching, and mentoring as appropriate. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential in interacting with and presenting financial information to risk pool clients, along with the ability to respond to questions with poise and confidence.
80% OF ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides innovative and effective analysis to enhance management and client understanding of complicated financial issues;
- Takes ownership of accounting and reporting needs for a national pooling organization;
- Ensure procedures are in place to maintain accuracy and meet auditor requirements;
- Responsible for planning, organizing, and reporting financial status and options;
- Works with a variety of vendors, including actuaries, auditors and investment advisors to perform complex data analysis;
- Prepares written reports for, and makes oral presentations to, risk pool client Boards of Directors, Committees, and other parties;
- Prepares or reviews risk pool client quarterly financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Oversees annual financial audit of assigned risk pool clients;
- Serves as a financial subject matter expert for public agency clients; and
- Performs analysis related to member underwriting, self-insured retention changes, experience-modification and cost allocation formulas.
20% OF ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees accounts payable and accounts receivable functions, as well as management of general ledger;
- Oversees reconciliations of monthly bank and investments;
- Effectively oversees investment advisor and treasury management;
- Oversees preparation of risk pool clients’ annual budget and all other annual reporting processes;
- Supervises the work of Senior and Staff Accountants; and
- Effectively communicates with client administrators regarding work assignments, absences, and other departmental matters.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or Finance required. CPA or MBA desired
- At least eight years accounting experience with increasing responsibility;
- Working knowledge of GAAP, financial statement disclosures, and work paper techniques;
- Supervisory experience;
- Mastery of Excel and multi-modular accounting software programs; and
- Experience with public agencies desired.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Effectively train, coach, and mentor staff in a positive and nurturing manner;
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of work;
- Effectively manage time and priorities to meet deadlines;
- Be proactive and self-motivated;
- Build and foster professional relationships with internal and external users of accounting department services;
- Act as a resource to internal and external customers;
- Demonstrate an awareness of Sedgwick and the work products across disciplines, departments, and functions (risk control, actuarial, consulting, etc.);
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of policies and procedures related to assigned areas of responsibility;
- Balance short-term and long-term planning;
- Clearly and concisely communicate with internal and external customers;
- Foster an environment based on integrity and high ethical standards;
- Accept constructive feedback from Sedgwick and client management, including improving upon those items identified; and
- Exhibit excellent computer skills with strong working knowledge of all relevant software programs