This position reports to the Vice President, Finance with a dotted line to the divisional Publisher of Grand Central Publishing (GCP). Responsible for the financial management of one or more divisions and/or imprints and will serve as a consultant to the division head/Publisher and related staff on all business and financial matters. The Finance Director needs to thoroughly understand the business, think strategically, communicate information in an accessible way, and provide decisive perspectives in all financial areas impacting their business unit.
This role will focus on a) achieving profitability, b) goals and objectives related to sales, c) productivity, d) strategic planning, e) fiscal management & reporting, f) operational insight and analytics, g) quality and audit governance, and h) assisting in crucial business decisions.
The Director needs a comprehensive understanding of market trends, company strategies, publishing bookkeeping, and marketing program/brand delivery strategies to ensure proper decision support, business development and control activities are aligned to division/imprint needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide timely, high-quality, strategic reports and commentary on a regular and/or ad hoc basis that can support decision making for departments and imprints
- Liaise closely when editorial, sales, production, marketing and other key stakeholders to identify critical information that may affect analyses and reporting
- Analyze financial viability of potential programs/acquisitions by creating multiple P&L scenarios, which accurately test profitability and compliance with corporate goals
- Assist in the development of all product and service (print and digital) initiatives such as marketing programs, investments, pricing strategy, rights and royalty issues, and terms and conditions
- Prepare annual budgets, forecasts, and reforecasts for divisions and/or imprints; develop and maintain forecast with year-to-date results, monthly, quarterly, and annual projections, key statistics, and risks and opportunities
- Continually improve the budgeting process through education of department managers on financial issues impacting their budgets
- Assist corporate reporting group with monthly post mortem reporting and review for parent company which includes sales and P&L narratives
- Manage period closing processes & present monthly and quarterly financial packages to Publishers and/or department heads with a focus on performance summaries, exception management and improvement opportunities
- Stay abreast of industry and financial trends and provide recommendations to strategically enhance the operational, business development, & financial performance of division/imprint (s)
- Governinvestment commitments of division/imprint with specific focus on royalty commitments to projected title P&L’s, inventory management and analytics, expense and labor capacity management, and procurement policies and decisions supporting each with management dashboards and support tools.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
- MBA in Finance and/or Accounting preferred
- At least 5 years experience in Financial Management, a strong understanding of accounting, and prior exposure to marketing and business development
- 5 to 7 years of experience in TradePublishing
- Budget development & finance oversight experience with sound technical analytical ability, precise attention to detail, good judgment and strong operational focus
- Proven track record of gaining credibility through consultative relationships with senior management; able to work collaboratively on major projects/initiatives
- Intelligent and articulate with the ability to relate to people at all levels of an organization; possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates dependability, a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Provides timely and accurate work product
- High level of integrity and commitment to professional ethical standards
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization
- A decisive individual who possesses a "big picture" perspective with the ability to look at situations from several points of view
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Well versed in systems with excellent computer skills; proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access
- Hyperion Enterprise a plus