- Performs technical support to customers at their manufacturing facilities including machine tool troubleshooting, repair, and installation of electro-mechanical systems, subsystems and components.
- Professionally interacts with customer personnel including shop floor maintenance technicians, supervisors, and machine operators. Effectively communicates to remote support staff at Gleason including service team members, supervision, and engineering to gather technical information. Professionally and thoroughly document troubleshooting steps, findings, and repairs implemented. Actively communicates status and planned next actions to customers, keeping them informed of repair status.
- Performs extensive travel domestically and internationally including multi-week deployments for service projects and/or machine installations.
- Maintain the highest level of integrity and trustworthiness in all actions and personal behaviors. Continually apply a high level of personal accountability to drive closure to customer issues.
- Work interdependent with customer personnel, 3rd party electricians, mechanics, millwrights, senior Gleason service or application engineers and other skilled trades to complete tasks of a project and/or machine tool cell installations.
- Perform service and travel activities according to company policies and safety standards. Understand and practice governing safety requirements within Gleason facilities and/or those in affect at customer plants.
- Continuously improve personal and technical skills to service machines to customer’s satisfaction by keeping current with product technology as measured by ability to troubleshoot various machine models.
- Trouble-shoot, repair, and replace electrical systems and sub-systems with a sound understanding of complex circuitry including components such as; CNC drives/amplifiers, servomotors, PLC’s, glass scales, rotary encoders, safety switches, and similar electrical/electro-mechanical components employed in advanced machine tool systems.
- Communicate, both verbally and in written format(s) the status of machine trouble-shooting, repair, and operation professionally. Manage on-site (at customer) interactions, using a fact-based communication style including detail ofaccomplished tasks, results, next steps, and associated timelines for next activities.
- Provide coaching and informal training to customer personnel regarding the efficient and effective use and maintenance of Gleason products.
- Independently analyze machine malfunctions and resolve problems in machine tool system operation/performance.
- Interact with Gleason internal project management during field installation/service projects acting as an on-site project manager. Identify and coordinate work tasks, associated inputs and outputs, assign and perform work tasks according to project schedule requirements and develop countermeasures for instances of non-performance according to project plan milestones.
- Effectively provide formal classroom and shop floor customer on-site Operator, Mechanical, and Electrical Maintenance training.
- Effectively diagnose Gleason machine problems remotely utilizing Gleason Connect technology
- Provide assistance and guidance/mentoring to Level I Field Service Engineers.
- Develop and improve product service technical documentation (i.e.; Service Program documentation, workprocesses and procedures).
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Basic Computer skills including use of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook. Ability to use Concur web-based online expense reporting system to reconcile weekly expense bills in accordance with Corporate expense policy. Ability to use SAP quality system tools (ITL’s and OSAR’s) to report machine issues during the commissioning ofmachine tools.
- Highly precise and written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate professionally tocustomer maintenance and management personnel as well as internal Gleason technical personnel.
- Self-starter and motivated with the ability to manage various phases of troubleshooting, repair, and reporting inan environment of high urgency and multiple priorities.
- Assertive, creative, decisive, and self-confident with a professional appearance and demeanor leading to thedevelopment of sound customer relationships and mutual respect.
- Detailed working knowledge of blueprint and schematic reading for hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, and mechanical systems with complexity typical of CNC machine tool applications.
- Excel at “hands-on” troubleshooting and repair of machine tool systems.
- Able to determine tools and equipment required to perform scope of work.
- Proficient in troubleshooting, testing, tuning, and adjusting machine tool elements to obtain optimum operating performance with Fanuc and Siemens-based control systems.
- Associates Degree (A.S.) from an accredited two year technical program, Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) considered a plus.
- 3 year(s) related experience in machine tool trouble shooting, repair and/or maintenance function.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with SAP
- Minimum 36 weeks per year