The responsibilities of the Director, Field Medical are to contribute to Pfizer’s ability to (a) communicate new and other important approved medical content related to the safe and appropriate use of Pfizer medicines to therapeutic area health care professionals (HCPs) in local, regional or national capacities including therapeutic area HCP decision-makers at organized customers such as Medical Groups, Integrated Delivery Networks, Payers, etc. and engage in other approved communications in accordance with approved FMD guidance; (b) provide truthful, accurate and scientifically supported information in response to direct unsolicited medical requests from HCPs in a manner that complies with all applicable Pfizer guidelines, policies, and procedures; and (c) provide therapeutic area/product expertise for regional and other Medical Affairs and/or clinical development needs as approved by FMD leadership (e.g. formulary presentations, field force training, organized customer projects/collaborations, scientific congress participation, Pfizer-sponsored research site / investigator interactions, TA/product expertise for Pfizer-sponsored NIS, IIR inquiries etc.).
The Director, Field Medical will interact with HCPs in the region including therapeutic area HCPs affiliated with organized customers. The FMD will respond to medical questions regarding Pfizer products for the designated therapeutic area and other Pfizer medicines as appropriate. The FMD may be involved in presentations to payers, managed care organizations, formulary decision makers and regional medical advisory boards in accordance with the designated therapeutic area medical strategy established by the FMD TL. The FMD will also facilitate communication between regional and national HCPs and headquarters Medical Affairs colleagues and provide customer insights that contribute to the development of brand medical strategies as appropriate. The FMD will facilitate both Pfizer sponsored and investigator initiated research activities in their regions, as determined by the HQ Medical teams and in accordance with guidance.
The Director, Field Medical, MD/DO will represent Pfizer Medical Affairs with external MD-based professional associations and/or societies and contribute expertise and insights to brand and other cross-functional workstreams as a trained physician.
- The FMD will primarily be responsible for providing approved medical content on Pfizer’s products in the designated therapeutic area to HCPs who have local, regional, or national roles in health care provision and/or decision-making as determined by Pfizer, the IM FMD, FMD TL, and US Medical Affairs.
- Keep abreast of medical and scientific developments in the designated therapeutic area by continuously reviewing literature in the field, monitoring competitor activities, networking with experts and attending assigned conferences.
- Maintain effective and appropriate communication and collaboration among headquarters medical colleagues, Medical Information and other Pfizer FMD colleagues.
- Ensure compliance with all internal/external SOPs/Rules/Regulations.
- Serve as a conduit and resource for customer insights pertaining to disease areas and Pfizer assets.
- Serve as conduit and medical resource to therapeutic area investigators and researchers, as appropriate.
- Contribute to the medical planning for brand/asset team projects and activities, and work with medical leadership to develop and implement the FMD team medical plan for Pfizer products in the designated therapeutic area.
- Lead regional workstreams and regional cross-functional initiatives that contribute to the medical impact within a region for Pfizer products in the designated therapeutic area.
- Serves as a project lead for the field team as assigned by the IM FMD leadership.
- Serve on medical and/or disease area and asset cross-functional committees, as appropriate.
- Serve as a model and mentor for training new colleagues and be recognized as a sought out therapeutic area expert by colleagues broadly across the enterprise.
- Represent Pfizer Medical Affairs with external MD-based professional associations and/or societies.
- Contribute expertise and insights to FMD teams, brand teams and other cross-functional workstreams as a trained physician.
Education / Experience
MD or DO with 7 or more years of relevant experiencerequired. Expertise or experience in the designated therapeutic area is highly desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent and demonstrated interpersonal skills: ability to understand and respond to multiple external and internal customers’ demands, manage and handle conflict constructively required.
- Demonstrated ability to
- Manage a significant volume of projects developed in a field-based environment, while exhibiting the ability to prioritize, successfully implement, and demonstrate excellent judgment skills and work in a continuous improvement environment.
- Work within a matrixed, multi-disciplinary team to foster strong Pfizer/customer professional relationships and which are aligned with Pfizer business objectives.
- Effectively manage through and lead change in an ever-changing and evolving external health care environment.
- Flexible to new opportunities (e.g. new therapeutic areas) and adaptable to organizational change.
- Ability to problem-solve and network throughout the organization to identify solutions.
- Collaborate effectively and demonstrate leadership and teamwork with peers, internal stakeholders and external customers that inspires alignment and partnership on a shared vision or strategy.
- Be a self-starter, be accountable and have a sense of urgency in delivering results that have medical impact and yield a positive customer experience.
- Maintain self-awareness and continually choose behaviors and responses based on how it impacts one’s own and others’ performance and engagement.
- Demonstrated clinical and technical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly adopt and utilize new digitaltechnology and other resources with medical customers and record medical interactions (e.g. iPAD, Acronis, WEBEX, on-demand video-conferencing, iMED)
- Familiarity withinternal/externalSOPs/Rules/Regulationsregarding Pfizer/customer interactions and relationships, etc.
Ability to operate a Pfizer company car and regularly fly on airplanes (ie. attend HCP/customer meetings; attend NYHQ meetings, etc.) required; proximity to airline ‘hub’ city); Flexibility to travel 60-80% of time.