The Lead be accountable for the I&I Medical Review Committee process for North American Medical Affairs and work with the North American Medical Affairs leadership, legal, regulatory, FBM governance, Medical Outcomes Specialist (MOS) leadership, medical information, and other cross-functional colleagues to ensure appropriate, timely, and compliant approval of medical content by the I&I Medical Review Committee for use by FMD colleagues to meet the medical needs for all therapeutic areas in their region and to achieve the primary goal of conducting and enhancing medical communication between the US FMD and HCP Experts. The Lead will also be accountable for ensuring appropriate use of the materials in the field by the I&I US FMDs and chair the BU-level Medical Review Committee that will be the "appeals" level to individual brand MRCs.
The Lead is also a member of the North American Medical Affairs Leadership Team and will contribute to the development of a vision, strategic direction, and implementation plan regarding alignment of cross-functional engagement of customers within Pfizer I&I across the U.S. and ensure the FMD role and activities result in a positive medical customer experience
- Reports to VP, Head of North American Medical Affairs, I&I BU.
- Maintains a strong partnership with Field Medical Governance in the Chief Medical Office and represents I&I US FMD on the US FBM Governance Committee;
- Is a member of I&I North American Medical Affairs leadership team
- Maintains strong working relationships with Global Medical Affairs Leads, US Medical Affairs Leads, MOS Leadership, Outcomes & Evidence, Clinical Sciences, and Medical Information
- Maintains strong working relationships and communications with Pfizer I&I colleagues commercial lines in the region and headquarters; serves as an extended team member of the US Sales & Account Management Leadership Team;
- Maintains strong working relationship with necessary platform functions such as Legal, Compliance and Human Resources.
- Maintains strong working relationship with other field medical Leads across in PIH and PEH.
Resources Managed (budget and FTEs):
- Manages a national team of field-based FMD colleagues across all therapeutic areas in I&I.
- Manages respective budget for the FMD group and associated FTEs.
- Accountable for managing administrative and project budget associated with respective team.
- Makes recommendations regarding FTEs and major expenditures during the fiscal year to the North American Medical Affairs Lead
- Responsible for leading, managing, developing and coaching all I&I US FMD Team Leaders based across the US.
- Responsible for directly leading, managing, developing, and coaching Puerto Rico FMD colleagues;
- Retain key talent in the FMD group/Pfizer and in collaboration with the I&I FMD Lead selection of new team members as needed
- Develops and maintains a high functioning and performance culture for team.
- Develops and maintains working relationship with Human Resources to help manage personnel and any performance issues.
- Manages performance appraisals, salary planning and promotions for FMD team.
- Ensures personnel generate and execute an individual development plan.
Strategy and Business Planning:
- As member of the I&I North American Medical Affairs leadership team, contribute to the development and execution of team medical plan that is aligned with the respective US Medical Affairsplans for in-line and late stage product strategies and objectives
- Contributes to the strategic planning across all therapeutic areas as member of the I&I North American Medical Affairs leadership team
- Be accountable for the overall Medical Review Committee process for US FMD medical content approval; Serve as chair for the BU-level Medical Review Committee and ensure timely review of appeals from individual brand Medical Review Committees in accordance with Pfizer medical policies and SOPs
- Provide leadership and oversight for the FMD TLs and ensure consistency as well as timeliness in the decision-making process for medical content.
- Responsible for FMD functional and organizational customer engagement planning, performance, productivity and efficiency
- Responsible for FMD Operating Plan and its execution
- Strong partnership with I&I NAMA brand medical TLs, MOS leads, Canada medical lead and medical planning and operating lead to ensure NAMA LT success
- Represent FMD, Medical Affairs on teams across North America, globally, or across business units or geographies as requested by the North American MA VP
- Anticipate evolution of FDA and other US regulations and guidance that impact interactions with and delivery of medical information to external healthcare professionals.
- Anticipate and adopt new digital technology, on-demand, and other related offerings that improve the efficiency of FMD medical communications activities and/or enhance the overall medical customer experience.
- Keeps updated on scientific and medical literature and developments within a designated therapeutic area.
- Develop appropriate quantitative and qualitative metrics that measure the impact of the I&I FMD Group that resonate broadly with internal stakeholders and that can be scaled globally.
- Stays current on all relevant Pfizer SOPs and guidance documents.
- Ensures team activities are conducted in compliance with both internal and external policies, guidelines and regulations. Ensure compliance of team members with required responsibilities, including completion of assigned SOPs by stated deadlines.
- Guides work prioritization and resource allocation within team.
- Authorizes expenditures related to travel, training, supplies and other miscellaneous team expenses.
- Actively engage in relevant budget planning process.
- Partners with administrative professional staff to ensure effective administrative professional staff support is provided to the FMD team.
- Ensure that communication and collaboration between HQ and field-medical and other medical and commercial functions is effective, appropriate and compliant, and that the medical professionalism of the I&I FMD function in the creation and implementation of its objectives and activities is maintained.
- Report FMD performance to NAMA VP monthly/quarterly
- Terminal Doctorate degree (PharmD, PhD or Doctor of Nursing Practice) required.
- 15 or more years of relevant health care experience required; with at least 10 years experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Therapeutic area experience in one or more relevant therapeutic areas preferred (rheumatology, gastroenterology, dermatology)
- Field-based medical leadership experience required.
- Leadership experience as both a direct line manager, and significant demonstrated leadership skills in a matrix environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and self-awareness skills.
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly adopt and utilize new digital technology and other resources with medical customers and record medical interactions (e.g. iPAD, Acronis, WEBEX, on-demand video-conferencing, iMED)
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to motivate develop and lead a team in a complex, changing environment and that is focused on generating a positive medical customer experience.
- Track record on strong strategic, analytical, innovative, interpersonal and team work skills.
- Track record on talent development and helping key talents to advancing their career
- Open minded, self-motivated, willing to challenge status quo and drive the innovation to continue enhancing FMD performance and impact
- Ability to motivate the team and colleagues while hold colleagues on accountable to deliver the results
- Ability and interest to manage a team of geographically dispersed professionals.
- Ability to work independently with show flexibility and organizational awareness and align with business priorities and strategies
- Must be decisive, exercise good judgment in decisions, organized and with the ability to prioritize a large workload.
- Ability to manage resources, programs and multiple projects.
- Ability and interest to build and lead a team of geographically dispersed field-based medical leaders across the US
- Ability to travel nationally within the US and internationally as needed for the business;
- Ability to regularly fly on airplanes (ie to do 'ride days' with FMDs; attend HCP/customer