The DAS Field Engineer works as a team member in the company’s Edge Solutions/Mobility Business Unit, and provides installation support and training for in-building Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS), Small Cell Commissioning, Walk testing and DAS/Small Cell Integration.
Provides post-sales deployment engineering expertise and hands on support inclusive of architectural, design, integration and support the initial implementation, installation, configuration, and ongoing change support for Black Box products and services. Works in partnership with teams and team members across various levels and departments of the organization to assist in planning, designing, migrating and troubleshooting client installation activities.
- Provide post-sales engineering implementation services such as requirement definitions and implementation plans, end to end system designs, equipment staging, configuration creation and testing, and solution deployment of varying types of software and/or hardware network solution deployments spanning geographical separation.
- Following the materials developed from site survey and related designs, installs, implements and maintains related systems and technologies as required by customer engagements.
- Proactively assess solution specifications in light of changing customer requirements, and recommend solution changes that optimize value for both the client and BBOX organization.
- Implement and make recommendations to improve methodologies, core competencies and processes for deployment engineering to ensure stable and quality product & service delivery consistent with company objectives and client expectations.
- Develop and maintain professional and productive relationships with all stakeholders, including clients, vendors/partners, team members, and other key contributors to ensure stable and quality product & service delivery consistent with company objectives and client expectations.
- Provide technical overview of product architecture, functionality, system/data requirements, service delivery and integration with enterprise applications.
- Actively and consistently recommend and support all efforts to improve, simplify, automate and enhance day to day service delivery operations and the client experience.
- Continuously develop and enhance knowledge, skills and abilities through various learning channels to expand technical and non-technical capabilities. Ensure further expansion of skill-set in the operating systems, networking infrastructure and products & services that Black Box supports.
- Maintain and enhance a strong client service-oriented environment focused on problem prediction, detection and resolution. Proactively identify and remove barriers to meeting client expectations. Provide timely documentation of issues, action plan and outcome. Achieve all client satisfaction objectives and and external SLAs.
- Translates customer requirements into clear designs for DAS and WLAN systems, as needed.
- Foster and contribute toward collaborative working relationships within NACS operations and across all levels and departments of the organization to execute deployment engineering functions and company priorities.
- Achieve performance targets established by leadership for applicable Key Performance Indicators and key financial metrics, and take corrective action as needed.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field, or equivalent, relevant experience.
- Advanced or Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in technical/engineering deployment positions in the RF/Wireless industry, and must possess a deep technical knowledge of the sector.
- Must have experience involving complex client requirements assessment, solutions design and implementation within the technology services industry. Experience with Managed Service Provider environment preferred.
- Must have an understanding of service provider requirements.
- Hands on experience with Commscope, JMA/Teko, ADRF and Corning DAS Products, working knowledge of Anritsu Sweep/Spectrum analyzer and PIM gear. It is also desired the candidate understand and have working knowledge of test transmitters and receivers.
- RF System Engineering Experience required:
- Coaxial and fiber based DAS design.
- 11 RF designs.
- Integration of passive and active devices including RF to fiber conversion, Bi-Directional Amplifiers.
- Complete understanding of passive component specifications such as power dividers, couplers, duplexers, filters, and RF combining networks.
- Experience with RF prediction tools (iBwave)
- Ability to solve complex technical problems relating to Noise Figure (NF), dynamic range, Passive Inter-Modulation (PIM), isolation, and system loss/gain.
- Firm understanding of wireless technologies (LTE/UMTS/CDMA/GSM) and performing link budget analysis.
- Field Experience desired:
- Site surveys for pre-design assessment of a building.
- Testing/Commissioning of RF systems to include RF to fiber based, and Bi-Directional Amplifiers (BDAs).
- Experience with field test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, signal generators, technology scanners, and receivers.
- Preferred experience in design/deployment engineering responsibilities involving complex client requirements assessment, solutions design and implementation within the technology services industry.
- Broad networking and technology skills, including strong knowledge and proficiency in industry-standard networking technologies and infrastructures including cabling, LAN, WAN, and various telecommunication access methods as well as legacy networking technologies and system interdependencies.
Other Qualifications, Skills & Certifications:
- Exposure to iBwave navigation and the ability to pull cable routing reports and be able to navigate using iBwave and or CAD drawings
- iBwave certification strongly preferred
- DAS OEM certifications preferred
- Customer Interface/Team Dynamics
- Ability to clearly articulate design concepts and solutions to customers
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to travel up to 80% of the time.
- End-to-end process thinker, with proven experience in business processes and workflow design.
- Excellent problem solving and systems analysis skills with demonstrated success in root cause analysis, effectiveness measurements and related documentation.
- Demonstrated experience of continuously expanding and leveraging knowledge of technology, market and industry trends with success in identifying, recommending and implementing best practices and methodologies.
- Ability to work effectively across all functional groups to optimize product & service offerings, fostering a seamless and external client experience and track record of timely and accurate issue resolution.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Outlook, SharePoint, ERP, AutoCAD, service delivery management tools such as ServiceNow and related cloud based technology systems.