SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The Field Director provides leadership, direction, mentorship and management for area hospitals to maximize the medical, financial and statistical results and the productivity of the veterinary medical teams.
The Field Director partners with the Medical Director and Talent Acquisition to ensure hospitals are fully staffed and are providing the highest quality veterinary care and client service and maximizing profitability.
The Field Director ensures good communication with associates, clients, field leadership, Central Team Support (CTS) and PetSmart.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Lead veterinary medical teams to provide the highest quality care and service to the most pets and clients and to maximize efficiency, productivity and profitability. Deliver outstanding financial results for all area hospitals. Manage the profitability and finances of the hospitals to maximize growth and improvement. Focus the teams to deliver the practice priorities.
- Work with the Medical Director and Talent Acquisition to select, recruit, develop and mentor teams to realize their full professional potential and deliver outstanding, high quality medical care, client service and business results. Partner with Talent Acquisition to recruit and select doctors as needed to meet veterinary medical team (VMT) day requirements. Final interviews and selection and discipline decisions regarding the doctors are the responsibility of the Medical Director.
- Develop annual budgets. Partner with the Medical Director to determine appropriate productivity levels for the doctors. Determine the number of doctors and VMT days needed to achieve maximum success. Review substantive changes with the Regional Vice President.
- Develop, update and deliver the area strategic assessment and plan in alignment with the practice strategic plan objectives.
- Partner with the hospital managers to maintain appropriate scheduling and doctor coverage. Approve paid time off for continuing education, vacation, etc. to support the needs of the associates and the hospital.
- Develop effective communication with associates, clients, field leadership and CTS. Create a positive, professional and trusting relationship with PetSmart leadership, associates and customers. Develop and maintain a positive relationship with the PetSmart District Manager and resolve all hospital/store issues.
- Ensure compliance with all practice protocols, policies and procedures and with all local, state and federal laws. Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates and the maintenance of clean, safe and organized hospitals.
- Enforce all Banfield standards. Continuously build Banfield brand in connection with all medical and non-medical standards.
- Develop successful hospital managers who continually surpass benchmarks.
- Conduct administrative functions promptly and accurately.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position requires special hours including working weekends and evenings.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Requires ambulatory skills sufficient in order to perform duties while at hospital and to visit various locations.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate equipment.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Must be able to travel long distances by air, train or car on short notice for extended periods of time. Must meet age requirements of national car rental agencies and have reliable private transportation for frequent local travel including a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Ability to establish and maintain a home office if necessary.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- A minimum of six years of relevant professional experience is required - preferably with three years or more in multi-location management in a service industry.
- Prefer medical background (veterinary technician, human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.)
Job ID SAN001IH